PDA

View Full Version : Deeper Issues

Heavytravel
07-12-2006, 12:21 PM
This whole fiasco seems to underscore what a mess our political system has become. Our so-called "representatives" are nothing more than a bunch of demigods bent on serving their own interests. Does anyone really think they care about moral issues or protecting the public? As members of the elite, they are exempt from Social Security because they have their own (very special) retirement plan, so why not let their influential elitist buddies (horse racing, e.g.) take a pass on this legislation. There's plenty of money coming their way from these elitist interests but NOT from offshore gaming sites. The deeper issues here are evident. We desperately need to get our government back working for the people instead of the other way around. Term limits. Abolish the income tax and adopt more reasonable ways of funding government without intimidating the citizenry. Outlaw professional lobbying altogether. Abolish PAC's. OK OK it'll never happen...but a guy can dream, can't he?

Berge20
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole fiasco seems to underscore what a mess our political system has become. Our so-called "representatives" are nothing more than a bunch of demigods bent on serving their own interests. Does anyone really think they care about moral issues or protecting the public? As members of the elite, they are exempt from Social Security because they have their own (very special) retirement plan, so why not let their influential elitist buddies (horse racing, e.g.) take a pass on this legislation. There's plenty of money coming their way from these elitist interests but NOT from offshore gaming sites. The deeper issues here are evident. We desperately need to get our government back working for the people instead of the other way around. Term limits. Abolish the income tax and adopt more reasonable ways of funding government without intimidating the citizenry. Outlaw professional lobbying altogether. Abolish PAC's. OK OK it'll never happen...but a guy can dream, can't he?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an old wives tale and not true. fwiw

Foucault
07-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Of all the things going on in this country, you think that a House bill to prohibit online gaming is what highlights problems with the US government? Take your head out of your ass, please.

Heavytravel
07-12-2006, 12:38 PM
OK I stand corrected on the Social Security issue. Does that change the fact that there are really deeper issues? I'm not saying this is the focal point highlighting all problems with government. It is merely symptomatic.

Berge20
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm not going to get into a debate about it, but I disagree to a moderate extent. However, the public's perception is much as you describe on a number of fronts when dealing with government. No denying that.

aeest400
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, our government is run by a bunch of idiots. It's called democracy.

And in response to your other comments:

http://www.kupl.com/files/Wingnut%20Graphic%20Black%20Background%20Spinning. gif

Heavytravel
07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the graphic. Just hope that's a RIGHT wing nut! (grin)