PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for a Senate office to contact you?

flytrap
07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm an internet poker player from Michigan. For the first time in my life, I contacted my Senator's office. I wasn't able to get much info from Sen Levin's office, but from Sen Stabenow's aide, I was given the assurance that I would be sent an e-mail or regular mail regaring Sen. Stabenow's views on this issue. She also happens to be on the Senate committee looking at the bill. For those that have experience, how long does it usually take for correspondence from Senator's offices. Also, what's the best way for voicing my opinion to my Senator? Is it what I did, which is call the office and speak to an aide, or is there a better way which will make my opinion known to the Senator.

Berge20
07-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Depends on how efficient each office is at responding. They get probably 100,000+ pieces of correspondence each year so it won't be the day after you call unfortunately.

tipperdog
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
It varies dramatically by office. Senators office funding is only partially based on population, so a Senator from, say, Alaska might actually see your letter while a Senator from, say, California will barely have the staff power to open all the envelopes. Michigan is closer to CA, so....

Also, you should know that in the post 911-world, snail mail takes an eternity to reach DC offices (must be screened for anthrax). Email often gets a quicker reply. Regardless, don't expect much.

Steven_1974
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I sent messages to my Congressman and Senators regarding this from a website and I actually got a response from one of my Senators within a week by regular mail. I got an email back from my Congressman within a day actually. Unfortunately both of them were for this legislation.

At the end of the day though. I doubt much will change even if it passes the Senate. At worst I think we might have to find more creative ways to get to their sites. If anything we'll be challenged in the WTO by other countries and in the end it might very well kill the drive. Congress should instead be legalizing and regulating it in the US like the UK did. Then they'd actually be getting a piece of the pie instead of everywhere else getting it.

TruePoker CEO
07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Call/write them again in three days if you have not heard back.

Berge20
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call/write them again in three days if you have not heard back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when people do this, but it is true that the squeeky wheel gets the grease. At least in some cases.

Bilgefisher
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Berge, you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Would it be in our best interest to push for regulation in our emails to our Senators? Or just the talk about being aginst the bill?

MNpoker
07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Whenever I send anything to the Senators here I get some junk saying nothing has been brought up yet in the senate and if something is they will look at it then.

Berge20
07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Berge, you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Would it be in our best interest to push for regulation in our emails to our Senators? Or just the talk about being aginst the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would depend on who you are writing to and what political philosophy they go by. A more conservative republican may not like the idea of regulating it at all, while someone more left may feel that is fully appropriate.

Messaging on this is challenging because it pulls together people from across the spectrum in support (as we saw today) and it is hard to find one or two ringing ideas that work more effectively for everyone. I think there is little harm is asking Congress to establish a commission to study the explosive growth in internet gambling that has occurred in the past 3-5 years. It gives some members who may generally oppose gambling, but may not like the concept of government prohibition, an out that they may otherwise not have and it is reasonable.