PDA

View Full Version : HR 4411 - Final vote tally

Berge20
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Final Vote Tally (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll363.xml)

Work the Senate hard

Bilgefisher
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Curious who each of your representatives are?
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

This link tells who's from what state. I personally found out all the representatives in colorado voted for this bill.

EMc
07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Mine rep from home and scholl bith voted. They will be getting a letter from me shortly.

smartalecc5
07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Does anyone find this whole process kind of exciting? Albeit, I'm kinda pissed off that most of Illinois' representatives voted AYE and my main source of income could be shut off, but tracking this thing has been an fun and educational ride.

epdaws
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone find this whole process kind of exciting? Albeit, I'm kinda pissed off that most of Illinois' representatives voted AYE and my main source of income could be shut off, but tracking this thing has been an fun and educational ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

When government makes efforts to restrict or eliminate any kind of freedoms, I don't find it exciting.

disjunction
07-11-2006, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me patriotic. For all of its flaws, Representative Democracy is basically working here.

epdaws
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me patriotic. For all of its flaws, Representative Democracy is basically working here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is working here? The vast majority of our elected lawmakers find it more important to fabricate pork projects for purposes of re-election and restrict personal freedoms under the guise of moral enhancement. We are so far beyond backward from the original intent our framers had that everyone's head should be spinning.

psuasskicker
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah. I mostly find it exciting when my government passes laws that a majority of the citizens it represents oppose those laws. That gets me all pumped up...

- C -

disjunction
07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is working here? The vast majority of our elected lawmakers find it more important to fabricate pork projects for purposes of re-election and restrict personal freedoms under the guise of moral enhancement. We are so far beyond backward from the original intent our framers had that everyone's head should be spinning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. I'm not talking about the rest of that stuff, like the pork projects. If this bill passes, I think it's pretty much because most of Congress thinks the American people want/need it. Opposition has been lukewarm at best. Any Congressman who felt that his *civically responsible* constituents are really against the bill probably voted that way. And vice versa.

I blame this bill on the civically ignorant poker community, not on Congress.

Riddick
07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
This [censored] sucks.

Once again, the individual is stuck between a rock and hard place and forced against his will to comply to a decision- Republicans and an outright ban, or Democrats and violent plunder of the industry. Christ, hopefully they "can meet somewhere in the middle" for our sake:

Ignignokt
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, my representative (http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/) may illegally tape phone calls, but he represented my feelings on this issue.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. I'm not talking about the rest of that stuff, like the pork projects. If this bill passes, I think it's pretty much because most of Congress thinks the American people want/need it. Opposition has been lukewarm at best. Any Congressman who felt that his *civically responsible* constituents are really against the bill probably voted that way. And vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this bill passes, its because Congress still doesn't believe Americans can make up their own mind on what is responsible to do with their own money. Democracy shouldn't be about what most people "want", it should be about protecting fundemental rights regardless of what most people want.

disjunction
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this bill passes, its because Congress still doesn't believe Americans can make up their own mind on what is responsible to do with their own money. Democracy shouldn't be about what most people "want", it should be about protecting fundemental rights regardless of what most people want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Protecting fundamental rights is the role of the courts, not the legislature.

mattnxtc
07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
crap like this is why i stay an independent...Its not about whats right or wrong, legal or illegal. its about what gets him reelected next term.

epdaws
07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I'm reasonably sure the legislature ought not be raping and pillaging rights as far as the eye can see. And no, this is not simply a reaction to poker.

But yes, the courts ought to rectify such mistakes. The problem is that many political operatives have imbued a sense in the American public that any court moving to correct mistakes is "activist."

epdaws
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
crap like this is why i stay an independent...Its not about whats right or wrong, legal or illegal. its about what gets him reelected next term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be an independent, join us in the Libertarian Party. It's the only party that truly advocates personal freedoms and low taxes.

mattnxtc
07-11-2006, 04:53 PM
sounds good to me...Im tired of dealin with all the bs you see from some politician who coudl care less about anything else but being reelected

d240t
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be an independent, join us in the Libertarian Party. It's the only party that truly advocates personal freedoms and low taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, sir.

Best thing is, its now free! You can join the libertarian party without paying dues! It's a steal at any price, Libertarian Party (http://www.lp.org/)

OHFreak
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
You'd think Dell would be throwing some of its weight around. I wonder what % of their sales of large LCDs are multitabling pokerfreaks. Meh.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating that Congress simply pass whatever legislation mindless of whether or not it should?

Anyhow, as the others posted above I greatly advocate the Libertarian Party.

pokerpunchout
07-11-2006, 05:02 PM
In Arizona every democrat but 1 (Pastor) voted no, and every Republican but 1 (Kolbe) voted yes. Unfortunately Kolbe is retireing this year and vacating his office. He has always not been afraid to go against the grain of his party and even "came out of the closet" as being gay about 5 years ago and still got re-elected.

Looks like I'll be supporting more Democratic candidates in the upcomming 2006 election.

skaboomizzy
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I think my guy (Jim Davis, FL-11, D) was too busy running for governor today to bother showing up since he's listed as NV.

sofere
07-11-2006, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the point of representative democracy when it doesn't get me what I want.

CountingMyOuts
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding, right? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is more than online poker. This is government telling you what you can and cannot do in your own home. And that is NOT a good thing...

TruePoker CEO
07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Work the Senate is right.

If you are from the US and want to say goodbye to Online Poker, then do nothing.

If you like to play, like to win, run an affiliate operation, whatever ...... you should contact EVERY Senator you can on this issue .... starting with the Banking Committee Chairman, Sen. Shelby.

TruePoker CEO
07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Call your Senators from Colorado ..... hit it on personal freedom, et cetera

Bilgefisher
07-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Already working on that. Just fired off a letter to my Senator, Wayne Allard. He will be on the senate review committee for this bill. Thank to the poster that gave me the link for those on the committee.

MAxx
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Nadler, good boy.

MNpoker
07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This [censored] sucks.

Once again, the individual is stuck between a rock and hard place and forced against his will to comply to a decision- Republicans and an outright ban, or Democrats and violent plunder of the industry. Christ, hopefully they "can meet somewhere in the middle" for our sake:

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could have a situation like mine where a Democrat (Sabo - MN) voted "Aye".
The worst of both worlds.

damaniac
07-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Anyone know where the floor speeches will be posted, and when? Is it going to be in the Congressional Record?

ChrisAJ
07-11-2006, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know where the floor speeches will be posted, and when? Is it going to be in the Congressional Record?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll be in the Congressional Record tomorrow. It should be available by late morning at this site (http://thomas.loc.gov/home/r109query.html) . Click on "Browse Daily Issues," then the "House" link next to the date.

student_of_game
07-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm sure this must have been done - can anyone point me to a form letter giving all the reasons why the bill makes no sense (civil liberties, exemptions for horse racing, etc.) that we could use as a starting point for writing to our senators? I think this would be useful to many people.

Also, can anyone suggest language we can use to drive our point home. Something along the lines of "I'll do everything in my power to make sure you don't get re-elected and will use the substantial sum of money that I would have allocated for poker playing towards a campaign against you at re-election time." I don't plan on using these exact words, but if anyone has any alternative choices...

Poker_Hoar
07-11-2006, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this makes you feel patriotic then YOU ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID.

MyTurn2Raise
07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the only problem is that a constitutionally limited republic (ie the US) is not working here