PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 4411 - In house today - active log

RED_RAIN
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
CURRENT HOUSE FLOOR PROCEEDINGS (http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.html)

Anyone able to translate this? Is this a blow by blow log of the bill going to the house today?

disjunction
07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm getting the blow by blow from the legislation forum.

Gregatron
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
What I wrote was totally wrong. Oops.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Thats just showing you the screwed up manner our Congress works. They are currently debating an amendment to the bill which removes exceptions to the gambling ban.

TheRock69
07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
On C-SPAN as of 12:29PM central time

Didn't look good only Nevada was fighting it.

rjoefish
07-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Looks like its being postponed until tomorrow due to Berkley wanting a recorded vote on her amendment, which is to totally ban all internet gambling. (The bill currently exempts lotteries and horse racing)

rjoefish
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On C-SPAN as of 12:29PM central time

Didn't look good only Nevada was fighting it.

[/ QUOTE ]]

She isn't fighting it, she wants everything banned.

from the clerk's website:

Amendment offered by Ms. Berkley.
An amendment printed in House Report 109-551 to eliminate the exceptions to the bills general prohibition against online gambling, thereby establishing a complete ban on all internet gambling-related activities.

TheRock69
07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Well HR of Nevada saying it is garbage since it exempts horse racing and lotto which I agree with. If ban it ban everything.

rjoefish
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
The reason they left lotteries out is because many states use it as a tax income and they left horse racing out because it already has legislation governing it, which was updated a few years ago to include rules for internet betting on horses.

TheRock69
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I would like to see them ban it all and allow state run poker, horse racing, and lotto.

disjunction
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason they left lotteries out is because many states use it as a tax income and they left horse racing out because it already has legislation governing it, which was updated a few years ago to include rules for internet betting on horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason, I was under the impression that Nevada wants the amendment to ban everything added, because it both gets rid of the hypocrisy and at the same time makes the whole bill unfeasible.

MicroBob
07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Everyone - there's various threads with some really sharp commentary in the legislation forum.

If you're like me and don't understand most of this stuff you can learn a bit over there.

Right now it doesn't seem to be looking very good (my translation of many of Berge's and others' posts) and I'm actually concerned about this stuff now.
Although I still think it would be pretty darned difficult to enforce.

Gregatron
07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Although I still think it would be pretty darned difficult to enforce.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what the opposition to this bill is arguing. And they are right. This is, IMO, election year posturing for the most part.

smartalecc5
07-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Is it still on c-span?

cowboy.up
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
the bill cleared the house, restricting usage of credit cards for gaming sites and "potentially" limiting internet access to the sites too. although it's been noted that the bill is not a high priority in the senate which also has to pass the bill...we can only hope and pray.

RED_RAIN
07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Cliff notes? Should I be pulling money out of online gambling?

AlwaysAir
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm so nervous... oh wait I'm from canada :x

2easy
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow!

do you have even the faintest clue as to how the lawmaking process works?

jasonHoldEm
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff notes: The bill passed the house, it now goes to the senate where it may or may not be brought to the floor before the end of the congressional session. Not getting to the senate floor would be a good thing for us since it effectively kills the bill. If it went to a vote it's uncertain what would happen (which would be bad for us since if the bill passed there's a ~100% chance the president would sign it into law).

It's not time to panic; however, it is time to contact your senator (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm) and tell them you oppose any attempt to ban online gambling and urge them not to take action on HR 4411 or companion legislation.

J

DrPhysic
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Bob,

I am not on top of all of this (couldn't be, I am neither a lawyer nor a politician), but...

1. I suspect it is pretty easy to enforce by putting the onus on your bank to prevent you from getting eft's from international sources. Sorry about all the paperwork Mr Banker but TS, and on your IS to lock out all the possible gambling sites (which may or may not be practical).

2. I think the house will pass this, but I seriously doubt that it can pass the senate.

Just some thoughts.

Doc /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Berge20
07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the bill cleared the house, restricting usage of credit cards for gaming sites and "potentially" limiting internet access to the sites too. although it's been noted that the bill is not a high priority in the senate which also has to pass the bill... we can only hope and pray .

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong attitude - You should contact your Senators and urge them to ensure the bill is stopped in the Senate by their opposition.

RED_RAIN
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow!

do you have even the faintest clue as to how the lawmaking process works?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't, make you feel better?

MicroBob
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Aren't there are other legitimate places to do international EFT's?

Don't international businesses make such transactions all the time?

I think that outlawing all international EFT's is unrealistic. But, like you, I know pathetically little about much of this stuff.

If sites player-bases went down 75% and if neteller was no longer an option I would still consider playing full-time IF it wasn't a big problem trying to get to a site and if I had confidence that I could receive checks in the mail that wouldn't bounce.

I'm not as concerned about the cops tracking me down and busting down my door while I multi-table 3/6 and 5/10.
But I do understand that passage of this legislation would mean that a majority of American players would be steered away from online-poker precisely because of such fears.

Freudian
07-11-2006, 05:40 PM
So when are you guys dropping the empty phrase "land of the free"?

EvanJC
07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
not dropping it but you have it right...the quotation marks were added permanently in 1983.

MicroBob
07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
It is my opinion that the phrase wasn't appropriate for the U.S. long before this.

PantherZ
07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If sites player-bases went down 75% and if neteller was no longer an option I would still consider playing full-time IF it wasn't a big problem trying to get to a site and if I had confidence that I could receive checks in the mail that wouldn't bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are three types of poker players: those who don't take it seriously, those who try to take it seriously, and those who are really, really good.

The first group will disappear.

The third group will find ways around this.

If you're in the second group, those last two statements are really bad news for you if you want to continue making any money at this.

Vehn
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm really curious as to why everyone thinks it wont pass the senate. It passed the house.

MicroBob
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
this has been discussed some in the legislation forum too.

Evidently it's pretty common for many bills to die in the senate (including the flag-burning amendment) and there seem to be indications that it's not as likely to make it over there.

The Nevada senator will be leading the charge against this.
they have to pass a bill that is similar to this one and then iron out the various differences to get them to match up.
It all has to be done before the end of the legislation session.

There ARE factors lining up against it's chances in the senate. But it definitely still has a chance there according to the people on 2+2 who actually know what they are talking about (which absolutely, positively does NOT include me).

Bilgefisher
07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Wanna get more invloved?? Let people at the tables you play at know about this legislation. Let them know to contact thier senators. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets greased!!!

DrPhysic
07-11-2006, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't international businesses make such transactions all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

American (or anybody else's) business community could not run without them. I get paid every week by one of my customers (GE) by EFT. It could just as easily be international if they decided to outsource their accounts payable to Pakistan.

I see no way to enforce that as regards gambling only.

Doc

GrannyMae
07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes: The bill passed the house, it now goes to the senate where it may or may not be brought to the floor before the end of the congressional session.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the EXACT type of bill these republican, good for nothing meat-puppets would love to pass in an election year.

MicroBob
07-11-2006, 07:48 PM
something I've mentioned a few times:

Yes, this is being led by some idiot Republican representatives. But not all Republicans think this is something that needs to be done.

Both of my parents and many of their friends are pretty conservative. We're talking 'Rush Limbaugh/george W. conservative' here.
And they think it's pretty ridiculous that congressmen would try to legislate this. And I'm pretty sure they would think the same even if their son didn't play for a living.

Anyway, I understand the animous feelings towards the Republican congressmen leading the charge with this nonsense.
Just pointing out that I don't think they are even representing the feelings of many in their own "party" (pun intended, ha ha ha).

jasonHoldEm
07-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Gonna have to agree with bob, republicans are leading the charge but more than half the dems in the house voted for the bill too...pretty much they all suck, it's an election year and this sort of thing will play well in campaign season (or rather at least won't play poorly - i.e. the incumbent's opponent won't be able to say something like "Congressman John Doe voted against protecting your children from the dangers of online gambling, blah, blah, blah").

J

london1o1
07-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Doesn't matter where you're from. If Americans aren't allowed to transfer more money from their banks or credit cards or whatever to their online poker accounts, a huge chunk of the crappy players online disapear. I like being able to play online, but more importantly I like being able to win easily online.

Jay Cohen
07-12-2006, 03:29 AM
I don't like this from the NY Times:

".

Bob Stevenson, a spokesman for the Senate majority leader, Bill Frist of Tennessee, said today that the Senate leadership hoped to bring a similar bill to the floor by the end of this year. But the Senate’s work schedule is crowded and growing more limited. Senator Jon Kyl, Republican of Arizona, has long championed such a ban and hailed the House action, although he currently has no pending companion bill."

bernie
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Red,

Tried to respond to your PM, but your box is full. Empty the damn thing, willya... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b