PDA

View Full Version : do various forms of poker attract various forms of people?

daveT
01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I have noticed that there seems to be different personality traits among players of different forms of poker.

When I first started playing Hold'em, one of the dealers mentioned that Omaha was the worst game to deal.

For sure, I can understand why. The players were not happy at all, they were cussing out the dealer, each other, and couldn't give two s's that I was the new fish. They didn't even tip the dealer! Every time they scooped a pot, they would tell the dealer to pass that effing thing over their way, calling the dealer a dumb###.

To say the least, I have been turned off from that game forever. BTW, I am not trying to offend any Omaha poster, I can't say for sure what they all are like.

I noticed that stud players are not neccesarily having fun either, but they are at least enjoying the competitive spirit of the game.

Hold'em tables seem to be social events, with plenty of laughter. Even brazen grinders of Hold'em still seem to play with a certain spark in their eyes, when they aren't in a slump.

Also, Hold'em seems to attract more poor people.

I wanted to know what you all thought of this.

And as a further aside, I have read that Stud is probably a game more favored for men because men can remember and recognize patterns better than women. That Hold'em is favored for women because hold'em is a game of psychology and emotion, ie, reads are more important.

I personally hate the male/female difference thing, but I still was interested in some opinions.

soko
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
The thing about omaha is that the nuts on the flop is almost never the same nuts on the turn and the nuts on the turn is almost never the nuts on the river so you pretty much have to make the nuts on the river if your planning on taking the pot down (or get lucky as hell). A game based almost completly on drawing out on people who are holding the nuts will do nothing but piss a serious player off, hence the anger, it's the type of game, not the players.

Hold'em is just the most fun game to most because it's the easiest to learn and there is so much more strategy involved that makes players enjoy more than omaha and stud where you have to make a monster hand to take down a pot.

I don't really understand the rest of your post so, yeah.

PokerCad
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
read the psychology of poker, compare to the different traits of each game and you will have your answer