PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in “self fulfilling prophesy”?

miketurner
01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I have heard the term many times throughout my life. You know, things like... “if you think you’re girlfriend is going to break up with you, she probably will”, and stuff like that. Both positive & negative. I was just wondering what you guys thought about that & why?

PS. This has nothing to do with my truck. :-)

Borodog
01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I think there is an undeniable effect. People who are positive and optimistic are more likely to seize on opportunities and ride out setbacks. Conversely people who are negative and pessimistic are more likely to avoid the risks associated with opportunities for fear of failure, and to wallow in the setback with an almost "I told you so" mentality.

Lestat
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I do! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

diebitter
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
The superstitious seem to see confirmation of what they think in pretty much everything.

Me? I'm not superstitious. It's bad luck.

BCPVP
01-19-2006, 05:16 PM
According to my psych class last year, there is such a thing. It usually has more to do with just "thinking" something will happen. Like if you think your gf is gonna break up with you, you might act angry towards her, leading to a break up.

New001
01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
According to my psych class last year, there is such a thing. It usually has more to do with just "thinking" something will happen. Like if you think your gf is gonna break up with you, you might act angry towards her, leading to a break up.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key, I'd say. Also, I think a person is more likely to remember the times where they were "correct" in their guesses, which would add to the effect.

hmkpoker
01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I definately agree that attitude has an influence.

LadyWrestler
01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes. In fact, I am right this minute typing a self fulfilling prophesy that I am going to go into the kitchen and make a roast beef sandwich from the roast I made yesterday...and eat it for supper...and I betcha that prophesy will be fulfilled within the next 30 minutes...yummy!

Prodigy54321
01-19-2006, 08:15 PM
my boy Joel Osteen in always on this subject /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tolbiny
01-19-2006, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not ot mention that if you think your girlfriend is gonna break up with you- there is probably something wrong with your relationship that you are picking up on- ie vibes man. A lot of what people call self fufilling prophecies are just them picking up sublte clues and making the logical leap without being conscious of the process.

kat
01-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Check out "The Power of Intention" by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer. In addition to the book, CD's and DVD's are available of the televised lecture program. The program is shown frequently on PBS as well.

ElaineMonster
01-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Mike,
Yes, I think there is such a thing as a self-fulfilling prophesy. "Fake it till you make it."
-Elaine