PDA

View Full Version : Stud/8: Trips vs. Low Cards

AlanBostick
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Seven Card Stud Hi/Lo ($3/$6) Ante $0.50 Bring-In $1

Third Street - (1.17 SB)

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls
Villain: xx xx A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds

Fourth Street - (5.17 SB)
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___folds
Villain xx xx A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

Fifth Street - (4.58 BB)
Hero: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain xx xx A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

The brick kills any shot for a runner-runner low for me. Villain has three low cards including a six. Two pair is unlikely, I think, and if he has a single pair, it's aces with a baby kicker.

At best, Villain is only a little bit behind me, and at worst he's freerolling me to draw to a flush, straight, or bigger trips.

Bet into him, or check-and-call?

ColdCaller
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Bet, if he calls and sixth bricks, bet again. He may have paired. If at any point he raises, you should call down.

Alchemist
01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I think calling 3rd behind an Ace who completed with your 766 is dubious at best.

On 5th you want to bet to see where you stand. You don't want to give him a free card if he is going high with split Aces. If he calls, bet into him again if he bricks 6th. You also want to put pressure on him if he's only got 4 to a low right now. Since he completed 3rd, is showing A68, and lots of Sevens are dead you don't have to worry too much about him backing into a straight.

mscags
01-19-2006, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think calling 3rd behind an Ace who completed with your 766 is dubious at best.

On 5th you want to bet to see where you stand. You don't want to give him a free card if he is going high with split Aces. If he calls, bet into him again if he bricks 6th. You also want to put pressure on him if he's only got 4 to a low right now. Since he completed 3rd, is showing A68, and lots of Sevens are dead you don't have to worry too much about him backing into a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

getfunky
01-19-2006, 10:38 PM
when an ace raises, muck all pairs big & low - you can't take the chance your up against aces.

you need to play trips aggressively here. only against a low three flush or a 345 would i even consider checking 5th.

Aaron W.
01-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Fold 3rd. It would be fine to limp in, but after the ace completes your best play is to just get out.

After that, I think I would bet until he raises me. If he has the low, then he's going to raise you because your board has you nearly locked out in that direction. But he may also raise aces up thinking that his high hand is good, and you don't mind this at all. The worst play would be to check and let him take a free card.