PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable with death?

Power_Mad
07-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Throughout my life, I've had different emotions towards the fact that I am in fact going to die someday. The older I get, the more I seem to accept the idea as natural. Does anyone else have the feeling that the closer they get to the light, the less it hurts their eyes?

bunny
07-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Not me - I'd still rather live forever. I wouldnt call it a major concern but in my more maudlin moments it can make me quite depressed. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Power_Mad
07-07-2006, 02:41 AM
I try to think of life as a collection of opportunities and experiences; a gift from something more powerful than me.

Some say life is a marathon, not a race.

MidGe
07-07-2006, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Throughout my life, I've had different emotions towards the fact that I am in fact going to die someday. The older I get, the more I seem to accept the idea as natural. Does anyone else have the feeling that the closer they get to the light, the less it hurts their eyes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a shadow ( /images/graemlins/smile.gif ) of a doubt!

bluesbassman
07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Yes, I've found that to be true. I'm almost looking forward to it, even though I'm an atheist and don't believe in any sort of "afterlife." I don't have a wife or a family, and the only person who would care if I died right now is my mother. So I just want to outlive her, and I'm ready to go.

Nielsio
07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
You'll cry when you've really accepted death (the idea that you *are* going to die sometime).

Good read:
http://ebonmusings.org/atheism/stardust.html

_TKO_
07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Accepting death is easy. It's accepting life that's difficult.

godBoy
07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I've seen old relatives of mine being remarkably comfortable with their deaths.. My grandpa said, 'well we'll need to this now because i'm not going to be around much longer', Grandma - 'oh be quiet, your going to be around for a long while yet'. He was right,

It's the people left behind that find it hard.

HLMencken
07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I've been comfortable with death since mid-20s, about the last 10 years.

Without trying to start a theist/atheist debate, I have found that atheists *in general* and *in my opinion* seem to be more comfortable with the idea than theists, at least amongst my family/friends.

HLMencken
07-07-2006, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some say life is a marathon, not a sprint?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a nitpicky runner, but a marathon is a race... just a long one.

madnak
07-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Finishing a marathon is a major accomplishment, regardless of position. That was my interpretation, anyhow.

hmkpoker
07-08-2006, 01:37 AM
(obtuse analogies! Yes!)

Ah, but at the finish line, we all get the same award /images/graemlins/smile.gif

evolvedForm
07-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you

Shooby
07-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't really fear my own death. I do fear having to live after my parents die.
Steve

_TKO_
07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

If responding to my comment, can you elaborate?

kazana
07-11-2006, 08:32 AM
It's actually amusing to hear that atheists seem to cope with the idea of death better than theists.

In my opinion (yet another atheist here) once the lights go out I won't be around to worry about it anyway. So I can't really be scared of death. It's the dying part that makes me feel uneasy. I just hope it'll happen swiftly.

MidGe
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Agreed! In fact for atheists and for myself in particular, it can be seen as a possible escape from a theistic nightmare. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Agree entirely about the pain bit and beyond that, the sheer pain and demands of ageing.

bluesbassman
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really fear my own death. I do fear having to live after my parents die.
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year my dad died a slow death from pancreatic cancer. It sucked. It would have been easy to collapse, but I know he'd want me to continue to live and enjoy the time I have left.

How people can continue to believe in a benevolent "god" after going through such events is beyond me.

exist
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll cry when you've really accepted death (the idea that you *are* going to die sometime).

Good read:
http://ebonmusings.org/atheism/stardust.html

[/ QUOTE ]

i enjoyed reading that. thanks for the link.

fearless
08-03-2006, 02:22 AM
does martial arts begin or end with a black belt?