PDA

View Full Version : How does the Study bill actually work?

Nate tha\\\' Great
07-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Obviously, a lot of us are hoping that HR5474, the Internet Gambling Study Commission Act introduced by Rep. Porter, will play some role in making sure that we can continue to play internet poker for years to come. My question, however, is what good does the presence of this bill actually do, considering that it's behind the Leach/Goodlatte bill in the House queue?

Is the House going to say "Gee, there's this really cool study bill in the pipeline, so let's not vote on Leach/Goodlatte right now"? Couldn't both bills be approved? Isn't it more important for a companion study bill to be introduced in the Senate (has one been introduced yet?), where this thing stands a much better chance of dying a slow death?

Please note that I am not especially pessimistic about this situation. But I want to know how the mechanics of this are likely to play out.

IronDragon1
07-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I don't imagine this will ever reach the floor but I do like it in that it gives the AGA (american gaming association) something else to actively throw their support behind as opposed to just saying they're "neutral" on 4411/4777.

As noted in an earlier thread one benefit/aside from providing an alternative to current proposals is that if this thing actually starts to move in the senate (note: there hasn't been a companion bill proposed in the Senate this session so far)is that it could be a point of compromise allowing for whatever does result to be implemented at some (6-18 months from passage) future date.

Ignignokt
07-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Doesn't the study bill have something like 40 supporters, even before it has made it out of committee?

What seems to happen (and I'm no expert, believe me) is that often when there's a bill that a lot of congresspeople don't like, but it would look bad if they voted against it, they introduce another different bill so they could say they were actually FOR the issue.

Since the Republicans are using their gambling bill in their big "We /images/graemlins/heart.gif Family Values" election-season push, IMO the study bill would be a critical factor in defeating the Rep. "I am neither good nor milky sweet like a latte" Goodlatte bill.