PDA

View Full Version : A myth about aces

Brash620
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I was playing at a 3/6 live game at a charity tournament and one of the players got his aces cracked. When he showed his losing hand another player piped in and said that pocket aces hold up 40% of the time in limit hold'em but in tournamets they're good 85% of the time. This was agreed upon by most of the table. Has anyone else been told this or know where it comes from?

My best guess is that these people were realy assuming that in a tourney you'll only have one opponet when you have A,A but I wanted to know if this is one of those "truths that only experienced players know" like J,Ts being the best starting hand.

HotPants
01-19-2006, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My best guess is that these people were realy assuming that in a tourney you'll only have one opponet when you have A,A

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only reasoning that would make sense

At low limit holdem, it's possible enough people call that your AA only hold up 40% of the time. Still very profitable though

DrVanNostrin
01-19-2006, 12:34 AM
That seems very reasonable. Although I think 40% is too low even in a loose limit game 60% is probably a better estimate. Of course a lot depends on the game so it's really not worth debating.

The myth part is that AA loses value in a loose low limit game.

WhiteWolf
01-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Sounds sketchy to me. My PT stats for AA shows it winning 75% of the time at 1/2 and 2/4 limit.

DrVanNostrin
01-19-2006, 01:07 AM
My PT stats are about the same for 2/4. However, low limit B&M poker is much softer than 1/2 or 2/4 online (from my experience anyway). There are more players to the flop, more chasing, etc. So you will end up getting your aces cracked more. Winning 60% of the time would be my estimate.

Brash620
01-19-2006, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds sketchy to me. My PT stats for AA shows it winning 75% of the time at 1/2 and 2/4 limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put no faith in the numbers he told me. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this. Although this guy did tell me some other great information:

-It's ok to play any to cards in limit holdem because you alway get odds to draw

-Blind straddling makes it look like you have a huge hand.

-Slowplaying causes you to loose more money than you make

Nottom
01-19-2006, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Slowplaying causes you to loose more money than you make

[/ QUOTE ]

In low-limit games, this is usually true.

scorer
01-19-2006, 05:11 AM
pocket aces win in no limit about 80 percent of the time...my opinion...one guy online says he wins 90 percent with them 80 percent with KK 75 percent with JJ..it depends how u play them..if u raise heavy on pre flop the odds will be higher

donkeyradish
01-19-2006, 11:37 AM
If everyone at the limit table stays to the river its probably nearer 30% than 40%

Its not losing value though even if that ever happened, which it doesn't. The more people there are, the pots you do win are bigger.