PDA

View Full Version : An introduction to climate change and politics - lots of video

wacki
07-03-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.logicalscience.com/climate_change/climate_change_intro.htm

This is a writeup I did on my site. Feel free to read and give me feedback. If you already know a lot about the science read the Media and politics section as you will certainly learn a lot. Lots of videos of shady politicians! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm trying to keep the article down to only what can be proved. Notice I never said what will happen in the future. I only said who is saying what.

Hobbs.
07-06-2006, 01:56 AM
wacki,

I really enjoyed your article. As somebody currently doing research in the atmospheric sciences, I was impressed with the way you were able to clearly and concisely present what are complex problems spanning a wide field.

Did you put this together for fun?

I've always like this figure from the IPCC, but it might not fit to well into your article as it likely needs a fairly lengthy background explanation.

http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics/2001syr/large/06.01.jpg

wacki
07-06-2006, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As somebody currently doing research in the atmospheric sciences,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, although I am a scientist, I'm in a completely unrelated field. (bioinformatics) It can be a disadvantage as I have to work harder to learn the material but it also gives me credibility as I'm unbiased. Considering some of the conversations I've had in the politics forum, that can be a huge advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you put this together for fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, quite the opposite actually. People were posting threads like "where do I go to learn about climate change" once a week in politics. People like borodog, natedogg, and Felix Nietzsche would rush to give them horribly inaccurate info supporting the skeptics/government inaction. The only web sites I had were absolutely horrible at explaining the typical questions posted in the politics forum and were far too technical for the average novice to read. I simply could not sit idly by and correcting the misinformation campaign in that forum (among other places) was far too taxing.

Thanks for your kind words. I might just use that image in another article.

hmkpoker
07-06-2006, 03:55 AM
hijack:

What is bioinformatics?

vhawk01
07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hijack:

What is bioinformatics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Using computers to model and simulate and explore biology, although usually on the level of genes. At least thats how I understand it. Branches of bioinformatics are things like proteomics and genomics. OP can correct me if I'm wrong though. Its really fascinating stuff to me. Sort of a cross between biologist and comp. sci. nerd. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
07-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Ya, vhawk has it basically right. I use supercomputers to make drugs, analyze DNA, etc.

I still have a lot of work to do on that article. I'm going to try to make it more streamline for the attention deficit. Ran it by a few people and it certainly seems I have to clarify some thing, shrink videos, etc. It's still in a very rough stage.