PDA

View Full Version : Does Publicizing Russ "Dutch" Boyd Pokerspot Fiasco Hurt Online Poker

PokrLikeItsProse
07-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Lots of people, rightfully so, see "Dutch" Boyd as scummy. Some want to see his story publicized when his bracelet win is televised (as it is supposedly scheduled to be).

Hypothetically, if the New York Times profiled Boyd, warts and all, would it hurt the online gaming industry by making it appear shady? Would it not matter?

(For those who don't know, Boyd ran an online cardroom named Pokerspot rather poorly, costing his customers hundreds of thousands of dollars in winnings that they couldn't cash out.)

Five-Star
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
This exact topic is being discussed in the Television Forum right now.

This thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=6397752&an=0&page=0# Post6397752)

Many people have weighed in on the subject, including some top players.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this would be good for poker. Particularly given the current legislative efforts underway, I really don't want millions of ESPN viewers to hear a story about how all the players on a poker site got screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read my post already you know how I feel about the situation but I wanted to play devil's advocate with your statement. What if this was actually good for poker? Because people are unable to take charges against Boyd because this was done offshores and out of jurisdiction. If online poker was brought into the US and regulated, people could take action against someone like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bilgefisher
07-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I think people who choose to venture into online gaming should know both the pros and cons. It may hurt online poker, but it may help as well. In a round about way it may ensure that security (either financial or software) stays as one of the top priorities of players and poker sites.

HSB
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
It probably would scare people away but covering it up would be worse

AntonHeat
07-04-2006, 06:52 PM
ya this is -ev for poker. Even more -ev -ev for Boyd