PDA

View Full Version : Life or Death

evolvedForm
07-01-2006, 11:54 AM
What scares you more, life or death?

madnak
07-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I fear death more. Death seems likely to be one of three things: the cessation of existence, a highly traumatic spiritual event, or hell. None of which are easy for me to accept.

evolvedForm
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I fear life more. Death isn't even an experience unless there is an afterlife. Only events in life can give me uneasiness, and there are certainly many of them that do that.

madnak
07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Ceasing to exist isn't scary for you? I wish I were so comfortable with it.

Morrek
07-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Neither scares me

luckyme
07-01-2006, 03:04 PM
There seems something super oxymoronic with "being dead". There is no such state, is there?
I can be hungry.
I can be horny.
I can be alive.
I can be dead ...hmmm, how would that work?

evolvedForm
07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Sure it's scary. But it's less scary than life. Plus, I'll stand by my statement that you can't experience death, so in itself it's nothing to be afraid of.

soon2bepro
07-01-2006, 09:27 PM
You're wrong evolvedform, yes death can't be experienced, though dying can, and yes death scares you while in life, but it's the end of life that frightens you.

godBoy
07-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Neither scares me

evolvedForm
07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I mean that death in itself, i.e. the experience of non-existence, is not something we experience.

That said, though the end of life is frightening, and though sometimes I wish I could live forever, I still think that what happens in this life is more frightening. This may change when I am much older, I don't know.

revots33
07-02-2006, 03:33 AM
I think death frightens man enough that he created heaven to make the fear tolerable.

It is impossible, I think, for most humans to imagine their own non-existence.

MidGe
07-02-2006, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is impossible, I think, for most humans to imagine their own non-existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a simple to imagine as whatever you were before you were born!

ScottySo
07-02-2006, 06:40 AM
the act of dying scares me (because it could be quite painful), but the state of being dead does not. in fact, I would go as far as to say I am looking forward to death, not in the sense that I am going to do anything to encourage its arrival, but that it will be very interesting to see what (if anything) happens next.

MidGe
07-02-2006, 06:50 AM
ScottySo,

I agree with you: pain, or fear of it, is a different issue altogether. It has to do with the design (if designed) flaw that make old age or ageing, decay, etc., a very unenviable state in many cases. Obvious, if you have ever taken the time to observe it.

evolvedForm
07-02-2006, 11:28 AM
right, and the act of dying is, to get techical, part of life.

Morrek
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
right, and the act of dying is, to get techical, part of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. We celebrate birth, yet we fear death? Why is that? Isn't it almost the same thing?

diebitter
07-02-2006, 12:08 PM
What, no neither?

mispoll!

madnak
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
For those claiming they don't fear death... If someone put a gun up to your head, you wouldn't be afraid?

evolvedForm
07-02-2006, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What, no neither?

mispoll!

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I didn't want to put niether as an option because then people would be tempted to claim that, so as to appear brave. I think bravery disappears as soon as someone really begins to become conscious of it, and I want conscious answers.

Beantown
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

- Epicurus (philosopher), c. 341-270 BCE

soon2bepro
07-02-2006, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean that death in itself, i.e. the experience of non-existence, is not something we experience.

That said, though the end of life is frightening, and though sometimes I wish I could live forever, I still think that what happens in this life is more frightening. This may change when I am much older, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever had a near-death experience? Guess not...

Morrek
07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
By the way, what do you mean exactly "being afraid of life"? Of something in my life? or of something in life that I've never encountered(how could I know then?)? because I don't see how you can be afraid of life, in general. That's like being afraid of yourself, or something. Or of God, maybe.

Jinx
07-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Was the first trillion years of history before you existed scary? If not then why should the next trillion of years after you die? I'm not scared of death, I'm just scared my life will be meaningless and that I'll never accomplish what I thought I always could.

madnak
07-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Fear exists in the present. I notice nobody has answered my question about the gun to the head. I always imagined that humans had an inherent biological fear of death related to the survival instinct. I think many of the people claiming they don't fear death are just grandstanding.

MidGe
07-03-2006, 05:41 AM
madnak,

What about suicides?

madnak
07-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Most suicides are full of fear and hesitation. Also, a large proportion of suicide attempts fail for those reasons.

MidGe
07-03-2006, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most suicides are full of fear and hesitation. Also, a large proportion of suicide attempts fail for those reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some succeed and very cooly too. Think voluntary euthanasia, my own exit of choice, and planned, as I have said before.

madnak
07-03-2006, 06:50 AM
It depends on the circumstances. I mean, if someone suffers from extreme pain due to a terminal disease, that's a very different story. Not only is death a given, but the psychological pressures from the pain and illness may override a natural survival instinct.

MidGe
07-03-2006, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but the psychological pressures from the pain and illness may override a natural survival instinct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, and those may be physical, emotional, economical, or whatever, pain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

madnak
07-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Just because something can override the fear doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I think at least 99% of the population would be terrified if someone put a gun to their heads.

MidGe
07-03-2006, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Fear exists in the present. I notice nobody has answered my question about the gun to the head. I always imagined that humans had an inherent biological fear of death related to the survival instinct. I think many of the people claiming they don't fear death are just grandstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really replying to that post of yours. I am not sure about 99%, but the majority is theist. They are afraid, imo. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

agent_fish
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I think most people who chose Life (me included) did so because their life sucks really bad. I'm mostly apathetic about the concept of death vs. life when thinking about it abstractly. However, if I were put into a situation in which my survival was at stake, I would do what I could to survive. This instinct was biologically imprinted into all of us through millions of years of evolution so it's not like we can turn it on and off.

Also, I'm an atheist and believe it is most probable that when I die I cease to exist which is not that bad of a prospect for me. Or maybe something really cool that I don't even know about will happen.

madnak
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm not criticizing those who are more afraid of life than death. In some cases I think it's 100% justified. I'm criticizing those who claim they have no fear of death, which to me is a suspicious claim.

soon2bepro
07-03-2006, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because something can override the fear doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I think at least 99% of the population would be terrified if someone put a gun to their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mm, that depends on the odds that person weights this someone has for and against actually pulling the trigger. Personally if someone put a gun to my head just to mug me, I'd be pretty cool, considering.

I know this guy isn't there to kill me...

madnak
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I mean with intent to kill. That is, fear of death.

New001
07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not criticizing those who are more afraid of life than death. In some cases I think it's 100% justified. I'm criticizing those who claim they have no fear of death, which to me is a suspicious claim.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't really read the rest of the responses, but I suppose this mostly fits my feelings about it. Personally, I don't fear death at all. I don't expect there to be anything afterwards. The only aspect of death that I'm not particularly fond of is that I know people close to me will be sad. Other than that, and I don't know if you could say I "fear" that aspect, it really doesn't bother me. For a little perspective, I'm 20 years old, no children, and a good family. I have no idea how I'll feel if/when those change.

_TKO_
07-06-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those claiming they don't fear death... If someone put a gun up to your head, you wouldn't be afraid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fear pain. Death is the release.