PDA

View Full Version : This is what my congress man had to say:

reddsoxy
07-01-2006, 11:42 AM
After writing to all my congressmen, one finally decided to respond to me.

Dear Jeremy:

Thank you for writing to me about Internet gambling. I appreciate knowing of your concerns on this issue.

Vermonters have spoken clearly that they do not want certain types of gambling permitted in our state, and they do not want current laws to be rendered obsolete by the Internet. Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell strongly supports federal legislation to address Internet gambling, as do other law enforcement officials in Vermont .

I have long been an advocate for legislation that ensures that existing laws keep pace with developing technology. For this reason, I support legislation to ensure that our nation's gambling laws keep pace with developing technology, particularly the Internet. The Department of Justice has noted that "the Internet has allowed for new types of electronic gambling, including interactive games such as poker or blackjack, which may not clearly be included within the types of gambling currently made illegal."

Representative Leach introduced the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (H.R. 4411) on November 18, 2005. Representative Goodlatte introduced the Internet Prohibition Gambling Act (H.R. 4777) on February 16, 2006. The House Judiciary Committee has recommended that both bills be considered by the House of Representatives, where they are now pending. Currently, similar legislation has not been introduced in the Senate.

I appreciate your concern regarding the future of Internet gambling generally and online poker specifically. However, I have supported past legislation to prohibit Internet gambling and I continue to support such legislation today. Neither of the House bills, if enacted, would deny citizens the right to play poker online; they would, however, restrict Internet gambling on online poker games. I believe it is proper to make a distinction between the right to play online poker and the right to gamble on online poker, the latter of which I do not support.

Thank you again for writing to me. Please keep in touch.

Patrick Leahy
UNITED STATES SENATOR

So let me get this straight... we can play poker online, but we can't? Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me.

spatne
07-01-2006, 12:20 PM
First of all, Leahy is your senator, not your congressman. So, he's not even voting on the Goodlatte bill.

Secondly, it wasn't "legal mumbo jumbo." All he said was that you can play all the poker you want, just not for real money.

I don't agree with Sen. Leahy, but I do generally like him, and the response to you from his office was very clear and honest.

Push_Fold
07-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Ya he is basically say go nuts all you want at the play money tables.

mrhat187
07-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I would write back to your a congressman basically saying "well your opinion is great, but sounds to me you are in favor of not coming into compliance with the WTO ruling against the US to open the way for online gambling www.antiguawto.com. (http://www.antiguawto.com.) Now if the US rejects the WTO ruling saying we don't have to follow it, basically China can say the same thing to USA about its complaints on labor. Wait till 2007 when the UK opens its doors to regulation of online gambling, they will bring the same suit to the WTO."

I would ask him what they are doing about the WTO ruling to me that seems the most important. If the USA tells the WTO basically we don't care what you say we will do what we want, then the WTO might as well disband.

dorethawsp
07-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Vermonters have spoken clearly that they do not want certain types of gambling permitted in our state, and they do not want current laws to be rendered obsolete by the Internet.

I'd be interested in knowing when Vermonters have spoken clearly on this issue. I'd be willing to wager that Vermonters DO NOT want online poker to be made illegal. If Senator Leahy is in favor of this then I am really worried.

bsheck
07-01-2006, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wonder what his stance is on playing with FPPs at Stars.

GBP04
07-02-2006, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wonder what his stance is on playing with FPPs at Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Uhhh, Senator, what about Frequent Player Points on PokerStars?"

va1halla
07-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I think he is full of it I don't think he has a clue what the people of his state want. Like most politcians he is clueless to the wants of the citizens, and just backs groups/people who give him big campaign contributions.

Uglyowl
07-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Do Vermont residents even know what the internet is?

Push_Fold
07-02-2006, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most believe it is something that keeps cars from swerving off the interstates.

Machinehead
07-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I think were in trouble if liberals like Patrick Leahy are against internet gambling.

reddsoxy
07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ya we do.... were not that far behind the times up here.

Mr.JR
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we do. Do you know where Vermont is?

TehPokarKing
07-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Hmm...that does surpise me. I actually have worked in Vermont politics (on the Republican side) and have lived here for 5 years. I actually haven't written to Sens. Leahy and Jeffords or Bernie about this because I assumed they'd all be against the bill (I'm still confident Bernie would be). Maybe I need to write Sen. Leahy a letter.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the distinction he's trying to make in that last paragraph was between play and real money. It seems more likely that he (or his constituent services intern) doesn't really know a whole lot about the issue and is sort of hedging. I think it's probably just not really on his radar screen at the moment. I will be sure to look into it and definitely will write all three of them letters soon. Thanks for letting us know about this.

TPK

PS Patrick Leahy is, in fact, one of Vermont's three Congressmen. As a member of the Senate, he is a Member of Congress, a bicameral body. Bernie's proper title is Rep. Sanders, not Congressman Sanders. /images/graemlins/smile.gif