PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Poker Like Life?

deleteduser
06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
This just came to mind...

"Poker is a game of partial information, so is life.."

Lets get this list going /images/graemlins/smile.gif

aeest400
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Because it's like a box of chocolates, and like life, a box of chocolates is like a kick in the teeth.

vhawk01
06-30-2006, 11:59 PM
ITS THE NUTS LOLZOMG!!!!oneone!!

revots33
07-01-2006, 02:53 AM
cause just like life you go all-in with pocket 7s and then he's probably got a king no doubt -oh god, damn oh damn - jesus christ just put all in I can lose 2 buyins there you go god bless america SON OF A GODDAMNED BITCH SON OF A BITCH POQENFAFN;OQ;RNADFNAL

aeest400
07-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Because blowing some guy once for money doesn't mean ur gay.

deleteduser
07-01-2006, 11:34 AM
on a more serious non drunk note ill refer to a more popular saying: "Life is like poker, you must play the hand your delt." maybe this will spark some more serious responces

luckyme
07-01-2006, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Poker is a game of partial information, so is life.."

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking that a step further --

From a moral perspective life resembles deep stack NL poker

Deep stack brings the less immediate/obvious variables to bear. You’re running a semi-bluff, you have to leave him ( and you) with just the right amount of chips to respect a river flush card ( that doesn’t help you). You have to know how he reacted to the last hand he ran into a river flush, but also if he’s reached the stage of saying “oh Bllsht, you guys can’t make flush every friggin time !!” , often a subtle line.

At times you may consider leaving an ATM with almost enough chips to continue playing when he’d losing a pot to you on an idiotic looking play if you think he’s at the steam-and-leave stage.

So, even though we may be able to state our goal in life and in NL poker, “to act morally” , “to win money”. In both cases that is last clear guide you’ll have, the implementation is too nested and interwoven to be reduced to a clear set of situation-specific rules.

aeest400
07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
how about this: anything is like anything else considered from some perspective

luckyme
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how about this: anything is like anything else considered from some perspective

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually. It's a matter of whether there is some value in the comparison. Analogies, similies and metaphors are less useful when you're discussing a topic with people that can't keep the comparison at the level of abstraction it's being made. With some, you must avoid all non-direct discussion because you'll get " Cheeez, Juliet isn't the sun! she's not shining, she doesn't give you sun burn .. "

Jinx
07-03-2006, 04:04 AM
I've always thought poker was a ton like life. Because sometimes you can do everything right and still get owned by the less talented and less deserving due to the luck of the draw. You can only do what you think is best and hope for the long run.

12AX7
07-05-2006, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought poker was a ton like life. Because sometimes you can do everything right and still get owned by the less talented and less deserving due to the luck of the draw. You can only do what you think is best and hope for the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Priceless. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

McBusto
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Poker is like life because when you have no money the only person that your going to be playing with is yourself.

_TKO_
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
When I have trouble deciding what to do in life, I break it down into a specific poker hand and create action up until the point I'm at. I determine the correct move for the analogous hand, and it always seems to help me out in real life. Sounds a lot religion to me...

Nielsio
07-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Both rigged, obviously.

VladKGB
07-06-2006, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both rigged, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

most concepts in poker can be applied to life.. life is a like a long ass rebuy tournament which no one ever wins. you could be a risk taker and try to accumulate a large stack (ie, start your own business, and other risky investments etc..), or you could be a conservative player slowly building up your stack (working stiff), or you can be a fish donking off your chips (losers/bums/drug addicts). The concept of M can be applied to life, instead of your stack divided by the blinds + antes, you take your monthly expenses and divide it by your yearly earnings or whatever, that is your life M. ugh, oh and bluffs... people cheat, lie, steal throughout life. and the way you were born, whatever your unique characterstics are is your poker hand, and you play it the best way u can to maximize its value, unless you're a donk.

the end.

Utah
07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That thought has always helped me when the fish in life suck out on me.

The counter thought that causes me discomfort is that it may take a lot of hands to overcome the fish. In poker you can get 100,000 hands. In life you many only play a handful.

FortunaMaximus
07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Because you can get it wrong and still get good results.
Get it right and [censored] still happens.

But get it right consistently over the long term, it's pretty +EV.

Power_Mad
07-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Because we are all students of both; Professor77 and God being the teachers.

_TKO_
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In poker you can get 100,000 hands. In life you many only play a handful.

[/ QUOTE ]

This notion has driven me to create as many experiences for myself as possible. Opportunity is when the skilled surpass the lucky.

vhawk01
07-07-2006, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because we are all students of both; Professor77 and God being the teachers.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bearly
07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
it isn't.....................you have a life (assumed), you play poker (assumed). go outside. look at something besides a monitor. the difference should be easy to spot..................b