PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight (2 spades on board)

davidbrent
12-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Comments on how I played this (especially the flop check-raise)? After 4 orbits, BB is a calling station and button seems pretty decent.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
3 folds</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds</font>, Button raises</font>,1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets</font>, Button raises</font>, Hero 3-bets</font>, Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

pikkupossu
12-31-2005, 08:29 PM
i fold preflop.

flop check raise is good, co ordinated board and the BB has commited already, get his money while he is willing to give it, the turn was a bad card so there is no way you could have trapped him for the extra bet.

rest of the streets look ok to me. i like the turn cap for value. are you bet folding or bet calling the river?

milesdyson
12-31-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like the turn cap for value. are you bet folding or bet calling the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
there is no possible way we are going to lose this pot, even if raised on the river. folding is ludacris.

i like a river check raise here. he does not have a flush, and he will most likely not raise the river with JJ. however, he will bet it since he felt the need to cap the turn.

Fryguy
12-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Do you like to give up money? We are opening from MP2 with a pretty good hand. Folding QJo here is stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
i fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

carniplant
01-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Open limping MP2 is bad, he should be folding or raising this

Fryguy
01-01-2006, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Open limping MP2 is bad, he should be folding or raising this

[/ QUOTE ]

And folding is stupid with such a reasonable hand.

Jake (The Snake)
01-01-2006, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Folding is fine and usually better than raising.

Azhrarn
01-01-2006, 04:42 AM
If there's one thing I've learned playing Limit Hold 'Em, it's flopped straights always lose. Check-fold the flop.

Oh fine. Post-flop you played it perfectly. Pre-flop I don't like the limp. I have a slight preference for folding over raising with this hand here, but I've done both, and I don't think it matters too much.

Reef
01-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Fold preflop

You can bet this flop

Bet/call river

ackid
01-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Preflop: I would raise this. You have a decent hand and your first in.

Flop: I think you may be missing some bets here if you dont bet out on flop but you trapped everyone for two so thats ok.

Turn: Looks good. Looks like someone else made thier J-high st8. That's great for you because you got the nuts.

River: I like the river bet.

Nick Royale
01-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I like it, all of it.

pikkupossu
01-01-2006, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QJo isnt even a reasonable hand, I wouldnt open with it unless in CO or maybe HJ with a read on the players behind me. This is obviously a raise fold situation preflop, and seeing as QJo sucks donkeyballs, its an easy fold for me.

but hey, if you want to open with QJo and the pot is more than 3 way, you are in trouble, thats my personal opinion. shrug.

keep pushing with your reasonable hands. i wont.

caz
01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I like the way you played it. I raise QJo in the CO, especially if folded to.

bobhalford
01-02-2006, 12:57 AM
definitely fold this preflop. If not, raise with it. Don't call. Maybe you could open raise with it if you were suited, but QJo is a trash hand and should be mucked in this position.

W. Deranged
01-02-2006, 02:59 AM
In my opinion:

Pre-flop is awful.

Post-flop is perfect.

Bet-three-bet the river, and certainly call a cap.

W. Deranged
01-02-2006, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you like to give up money? We are opening from MP2 with a pretty good hand. Folding QJo here is stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
i fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might raise this pre-flop, but folding is pretty standard here.

I have at least once seen very good players mentioned "open-limping with QJo" as a tell-tale sign of a poor player. Open-limping here is wretched. (As is open-limping with any hand in MP2, frankly.)

Alexthegreat
01-02-2006, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have at least once seen very good players mentioned "open-limping with QJo" as a tell-tale sign of a poor player

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great reason to open limp.

In fact, I love to open limp a few times early on in a session. Most players make assumptions based on the first few hands they see you play, and if you make a so-called "wretched open limp" they usually procede to give you all sorts of action for the rest of the game.

soon2bepro
01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
The limp preflop is very bad. Alex, what are you talking about? Even if they're good enough to notice, what makes you think they'll give you action? Anyway, instead of trying to fool good players, change tables man.

Fold preflop, definitely. If people behind you is really tight or otherwise you have some sort of read on them (like they always assume you have A or K when you raise from this position and will release to a flop bet or raise if one of those fall), you can raise here. Limping in is terrible though.

The rest is so-so. I'd cr the river, call a 3 bet. In your situation i'd definitely 3 bet the river if raised.

It might be arguable that you could cc flop then cr turn, though normally I like your play better.

Tk79
01-02-2006, 10:21 AM
My preflop play is going to depend a lot on the way the table has been playing. Ive been playing a lot of afternoon games lately and this is the kind of hand I may very well open raise from MP. In a more loosish type evening game this is an autofold. Either way its never an open limp.

RyanC
01-02-2006, 10:27 AM
looks good

GMMigge
01-02-2006, 10:54 AM
As discussed, the preflop open-limp was ugly. Postflop seems absolutely fine to me; only if you have a read on villain - i.e. have seen him take the free card on the flop before - only then should you consider betting the flop. At least 90% of all players autobet the flop though, and it's profitable when they do. I checkraise this almost always.

naMruM
01-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Raise or fold preflop. Those two cards are not at all conducive to limping , you'll get trapped by an isolation raise if there are any decent players at your table.

I like the rest of the hand. Took some sack with the value bet on the river with the scare card. Nice play.

Alexthegreat
01-02-2006, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The limp preflop is very bad. Alex, what are you talking about? Even if they're good enough to notice, what makes you think they'll give you action? Anyway, instead of trying to fool good players, change tables man.

[/ QUOTE ]

So called good players love to focus on players they have targeted as bad players.

How many times has it been said that there are no real big errors PF? There is more than one way to skin a cat guys.

soon2bepro
01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So called good players love to focus on players they have targeted as bad players.

How many times has it been said that there are no real big errors PF? There is more than one way to skin a cat guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you should try to avoid good players anyway.
There are no real errors PF? What the hell are you talking about? Folding AA anyone? (and that is just an extreme example)

Anyway, we're in small stakes here, so there are plenty of tables and plenty of suckers. No need to try to draw money out of good players where that'll cost you money against the rest.

Alexthegreat
01-02-2006, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you should try to avoid good players anyway.
There are no real errors PF? What the hell are you talking about? Folding AA anyone? (and that is just an extreme example)

Anyway, we're in small stakes here, so there are plenty of tables and plenty of suckers. No need to try to draw money out of good players where that'll cost you money against the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to re-read my post.

Or, I can break it down for you like this.

No. Real. Big. Errors. Pre. Flop.

hope that helps.

Flintoff
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I raise preflop all day long.

Other than that - spot on for me.