PDA

View Full Version : Cashout structure, Beggining Player

CaucasianAsian29
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I feel my problem is playing too much. If I could stick to playing an 1-3 hours a day and be able to leave a game when I know i'm on tilt, I would be making profit rather than always breaking even. I bought in for $95 two weeks ago, playing only $5 and a few $10 HU games got up to $260. In the last 2 days, I lost $60 because I would play till I was too tired. It's hard for me to quit playing after I have taken a bad beat. I was thinking that I am going to cash out into my neteller account everytime I reach a certain level. Say every $50 for now. That will make me take a break for a couple-few days. Could something like this be helpful, or do I just need to be more disiplined Any other advice? Thanks

BigPoppa
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
You'll need to develop discipline sooner or later, better that it be sooner.

It's also quite normal to hit a losing streak even if you are playing well. That's just poker. Just don't move up limits so fast that your bankroll can't handle a slide.

mosquito
01-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Variance in HU play can be brutal. Without lots and lots of experience, it would be difficult for you to know when you were playing well or poorly. Artificial aids like withdrawing 30 'games stakes' will do very little if anything for you.

Limiting your play to X number of hours is a reasonable thing to do. You can make a rare exception if you know you are playing well and are going against a known weak opponent.

Stopping your play if you know you are not at your best is also reasonable.

Finding the discipline to do so is another issue, all of us fight the demon in different ways. Eduacting yourself about the game usually helps. However, some pyschological issues may need to be addressed that have nothing to do with poker.

CaucasianAsian29
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Very good Replys, thank you very much!!

Don Olney
01-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Here is some advice the good Dr. Al passed on to me last year.
Background----I play 30/60 as my bread and butter game. A little higher now and then and lower when I feel like I am not in the mind set to play the 30 game...I had taken some time off for a medical prob. about 9 months...Now for a guy that plays for a living, this was hard...
Now, when I came back I found I was playing way to much, my swings were worse then ever but I was back bringing in the bucks...Dr. Al fixed this for me with one simple rule----
The Rule----When you make two playing errors you are done for the day.
I found once I reached X# of hours my play did go down since I came back.. Now that I have used the two BOOBOO rule-- I am flying high again---
Good Luck

CaucasianAsian29
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Background----I play 30/60 as my bread and butter game. A little higher now and then and lower when I feel like I am not in the mind set to play the 30 game...I had taken some time off for a medical prob. about 9 months...Now for a guy that plays for a living, this was hard...
Now, when I came back I found I was playing way to much, my swings were worse then ever but I was back bringing in the bucks...Dr. Al fixed this for me with one simple rule----
I found once I reached X# of hours my play did go down since I came back.. Now that I have used the two BOOBOO rule-- I am flying high again---
Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]
Very interesting, I have never done this, but will give it a try. Thanks so much

starvin-garvin
01-20-2006, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, I think a light bulb just went off in my head. i think that's a very interesting way to approach the game. It will probably help me keep track of my errors as well.