PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Poker Tools/Software

Hairlip Steve
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I am a partner in a small software firm that specializes in the design and development of robust financial planning applications. We use Macromedia Flash to develop apps that feature real-time charting/graphing with components such as Monte Carlo simulation. We have long been interested in developing a poker widget or a more heavy-duty application, but have been short on ideas. Some questions:

Any thoughts from the board on potential applications or tools?
Are there areas where most existing software falls down? Any typical UI shortcomings in online software?

Any thoughts/ideas/comments are appreciated.

LetYouDown
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any typical UI shortcomings in online software?

[/ QUOTE ]
If they use flash, I consider that a shortcoming.

WhiteWolf
01-19-2006, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Hairlip Steve
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Then it is clear that you have only seen flash used poorly, because Flash planning application represent the best option for the user. They present zero security risks and allow for unlimited design features, unlike Java or HTML.

punter11235
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
One idea :
Simple application for holdem which works as follows :
Input : X - our stack, Y-amount somebody already put in the pot (by preflop raise) Z - % of hands he may have
Output : Our optimal pushing range (optimal means that it gives maximum payoff assuming we tell the opponent our strategy and he plays optimally against it)

It would be very helpful but probably would kill online games which allows 20BB buy ins...

thekiller
08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
'unlimited design features'...

what does that mean?

Duke
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then it is clear that you have only seen flash used poorly, because Flash planning application represent the best option for the user. They present zero security risks and allow for unlimited design features, unlike Java or HTML.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get back with me when they release Flash 8.5 for Linux, or at least fix the audio lag issue.

~D

SamIAm
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'unlimited design features'...

what does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
NO LIMIT ON THE FEATURES OF THE DESIGN!!!

Animation? Easy! Smell? No problem! Feeling of contentment? You got it!
-Sam

thekiller
08-09-2006, 05:28 PM
so he's talking cack?

AaronBrown
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
There are two good types of calculators on the net. Pokerstove allows you to compute the probability of various outcomes making a wide variety of assumptions about other players' cards. But it's slow to run and it takes some trouble to set things up. Those aren't criticisms, a powerful program usually has those disadvantages.

The other kind, of which twodimes.net is a very good example, let you specify all players' cards, and as much of the board as you want, and tells the probabilities of outcomes.

What does not exist is an application that allows you to put in your hand plus the betting (plus some or all of the board) and does calculations using assumptions about what other players are likely to have given the betting. This doesn't have to be sophisticated, you just need simple rules for average players (and it would be useful to be able to specify loose or tight, aggressive or passive and so on). I think if the prediction rules were as good as the AI in inexpensive PC poker games it would give useful results.

Shroomy
08-09-2006, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One idea :
Simple application for holdem which works as follows :
Input : X - our stack, Y-amount somebody already put in the pot (by preflop raise) Z - % of hands he may have
Output : Our optimal pushing range (optimal means that it gives maximum payoff assuming we tell the opponent our strategy and he plays optimally against it)

It would be very helpful but probably would kill online games which allows 20BB buy ins...

[/ QUOTE ]

Comming soon.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Right now I am grabbing the info from the screen so you don't have to enter it, reading the user data from PT if its availible or allowing you to entr the top %, and overlaying the info over the screen like PAHUD.

I have another week or so for things to work well with PP then will be working on other sites, or modifying it to be for tourniments instead of cash games.

Any gurus here who would like to have their feedback directly implemented and help me test things drop me a note...

uDevil
08-09-2006, 06:24 PM
How about a simulation tool that would allow you to answer questions of the sort often asked in this forum? This kind of thing:

How often will I flop 2-pr or better w/ suited connectors?
How often will KK vs. AA, set over set, or flush over flush happen?

Of course this would put BruceZ out of business, but surely he must get tired of them.

Shroomy
08-09-2006, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flash can be a good tool for thin clients, its just that it gives so much flexibility that everyone likes be cute with their user interface usualy at the expense usability or being intuitve. Also you can write a crappy program in any language /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Still .. flash is limited in its scope compared to a typical windows application. (both a good and a bad thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Red_Diamond
08-09-2006, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I have coded in flash before, though currently I am coding my Poker utils in Java, and not experiencing these unlimited design problems.