PDA

View Full Version : Game selection in real life?

Atropos
01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey folks,
what do you think is more likely to work for the average person:

a) Setting crazy ambitious targets, always push as far as one can. Always trying to search and complete a challenge.

b) Finding a game that you can beat. Setting goals that are easily reachable and do not require alot of effort.

c) It depends on the person

The thing is, I know many people who say "bah work is sooo boring I hate it". On the other hand my brother-in-law is working in a hospital, taking care of the emergencies. He doesnt seem bored, but he is crazily exhausted all the time.
What do you think is the way to go for the average population?

soko
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
When you figure out the answer to this question, write a book and make millions.

_TKO_
01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
The answer is somewhere between (a) and (b), and is completely covered in (c). The idea to goal-setting is to make them amibitious, but acheivable. The most important thing is to be able to measure your progress.

thecolor12
01-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Hunting rabbits and hunting elephants takes the same amount of energy. Go for the elephants. But that being said, don't try and boil the ocean.

You're looking for a target that's bigger than a rabbit and smaller than the ocean. So yeah, the answer is between A and B.

Al Schoonmaker
01-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Game selection is one of the most important decisions you make in your lifetime. If you pick the wrong game, you're going to be miserable, even if you succeed at it. And you probably won't succeed.

Countless Americans have decided -- sometimes after they reached forty -- that they chose the wrong game. Thanks to our open system, they can change. So they go back to school, or drop out of "the rat race," or just shift from Game A to Game B.

The critical point is to monitor yourself. Ask, "Is this really what I want to do with my life?" If the answer is, "No," and your situation allows you some freedom, change your game.

Regards,

Al

_TKO_
01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The critical point is to monitor yourself. Ask, "Is this really what I want to do with my life?" If the answer is, "No," and your situation allows you some freedom, change your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difficult part is finding an alternative...

Don Olney
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Dr. Al,
Great stuff you put in here----
I think most people, at least the ones I have talked to about this, pick the wrong game. They just are unable or not willing to change games once they have started the one they are in....
Don O