PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Fantasy Drafts

Whitewash
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
My friend Mike and I decided to place a wager on this year's World Series with our own fantasy draft. The points system we are using is the Toyota POY system ( found here (http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/06/espn-player-year-race.htm)). We each got 20 picks in a snake draft.

Mike's Picks

1. Phil Ivey
4. Daniel Negreanu
5. Phil Hellmuth
8. Erik Lindgren
9. Layne Flack

12. Gavin Smith
13. Mike Matusow
16. Todd Brunson
17. Scott Fischman
20. Phil Gordon
21. Kenna James
24. Chad Brown
25. Michael Gracz
28. Bill Edler
29. Max Pescatori
32. Josh Arieh
33. Howard Lederer
36. Freddy Deeb
37. David Williams
40. Antonio Esfandiari

My Picks

2. Chris Ferguson
3. John Juanda
6. Barry Greenstein
7. Erik Seidel
10. Michael Mizrachi

11. Men Nguyen
14. Allen Cunningham
15. Ted Forrest
18. David Pham
19. Johnny Chan
22. Kathy Liebert
23. Darrell Dicken
26. Patrik Antonius
27. Scotty Nguyen
30. TJ Cloutier
31. Minh Nguyen
34. John Phan
35. Nam Le
38. Marcel Luske
39. Cyndy Violette

Any comments on the picks? I tried to aim my picks towards players who have (successfully) played a lot of WSOP events over the decade, and showed preference towards those that live in Vegas.

I honestly don't like the #1 pick too much. I dont think you can say with much certainty that Phil will take many events seriously, let alone even play in them. The Big Game will be constantly running...and while Barry has consistently shown he takes the events seriously, Phil needs people to push him to do so.

1fog
06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Gotta get some sleepers in there, some internet picks

Whitewash
06-26-2006, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta get some sleepers in there, some internet picks

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like any individual internet player is too much of a risk. Dicken was a safe pick since he's shown a lot of dedication to the circuit and had plenty of live success already.

john voight
06-27-2006, 12:01 AM
imo your gunna kick his ass.

professormike
06-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I think someone should have drafted Bax, he has done quite well in live tourneys he has played in.

legendary loser
06-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I'd take An Tran, Humberto Brenes, David Chiu, Dewey Tomko, John Cernuto over some of the later round picks.

renodoc
06-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Why am I not on your list?

redsoxsalty
06-27-2006, 03:14 AM
i don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of the ivey pick at #1, but i don't like taking ferguson/juanda at #2/#3. nor do i like your last pick, as i'm more inclined towards someone like awada or d'ags.

i do, however, love the seidel and forrest picks, provided ted shows up.

RichC.
06-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Call me nuts, but Raymer? Bax? Rizen? These guys are good, Bax and Rizen are your internet gurus. Should of had one mandatory internet guy pick. Other than that, nice.

Snarf
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Has Gavin Smith been hot lately - why is he picked so high?

Also, where is the grinder on the list"?

drewjustdrew
06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has Gavin Smith been hot lately - why is he picked so high?

Also, where is the grinder on the list"?

[/ QUOTE ]

DrunkIrish05
07-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Those POY points are for last year. I'm trying to do a similar fantasy pool, but can't fine POY points for this year. Anyone have any suggestions of where to look.

Thanks

EPIC
07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, where is the Doyle Brunson on the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2 time WSOP ME champ and holder of 10 Bracelets doesnt get picked?

Sherman
07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Do Dutch Boyd and Scott Fischman not play in enough events to merit being picked?

Whitewash
07-09-2006, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do Dutch Boyd and Scott Fischman not play in enough events to merit being picked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fischman was picked, please look at the entire list before critiquing it.

Who would have actually put Dutch Boyd in a list of 40 before he won a bracelet this year?

Whitewash
07-09-2006, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A 2 time WSOP ME champ and holder of 10 Bracelets doesnt get picked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the isolated bracelet win last year, Doyle hasn't done much in terms of cashing and making final tables the past couple of years... pretty vital things to getting POY points.

This was a draft for people to accumulate Player of the Year points at the 2005 WSOP, not some kind of all-time respect list. Doyle is still easily one of the best poker players in the world today, but he doesn't play enough events seriously and doesn't have great stamina for the grueling 6 weeks.

DarthIgnurnt
07-09-2006, 07:37 PM
How come no one picked Barny Boatman (this year's ME winner) or Stinky Pete?

Army Eye
07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Because they are trying to assemble teams that will score points.

Sherman
07-09-2006, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fischman was picked, please look at the entire list before critiquing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

marchron
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
*bump*

Lloyd locked a thread I started because this one was already here, so I'll pose the question to you guys:

I'm in the Full Tilt WSOP Fantasy Poker League. In addition to prizes to the contestants who earn the most fantasy dollars in each individual event, the top 100 earners overall get to be in a freeroll for a seat at the 2007 WSOP ME.

At the close of Event #33, I'm currently in 26th. Not bad, but I need to have a very good Main Event. The huge prizes awarded will likely determine the top 100, so if I blow it, I'm right out. In the $50K H.O.R.S.E. event, I picked five of the players at the final table and had another who finished 12th, earned more than $6 million in fantasy dollars, and still lost ten spots on the leaderboard. Anything less than excellence in the ME will kill my shot at the free 2007 seat.

So, I need 15 players who will do well, and, almost as important, are not really consensus picks. Everyone's gonna have Phil Ivey. I need the Andrew Black.

In this format, five of my picks will award me triple whatever they earn; five get me double and the last five get me single. I can only pick from a set list (see here (http://contest.blastpromo.com/cgi-bin/fulltilt-wsop06/fan_enter_picks.cgi)), so no chance of writing in any of the 2+2'ers who've qualified.

Give me some good horses to pick. I'll need every dollar.

marchron
07-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Aaaaaaaand this is why I felt the need to create another thread.