PDA

View Full Version : $1500 Limit Holdem Events

luvrhino
06-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm going to be in both $1500 Limit Holdem Events (#4 and #11) and am curious what type of player would enter those events. Online, people entering Limit tourneys tend to be people who have watched too much poker on television and try emulating Gus Hansen's NL play early on. Once the blinds get larger, these same people demonstrate an unfamiliarity with the Gap Concept. I love this.

I suspect at the WSoP, i won't be so lucky. Looking at the event schedule (http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/2006wsop.asp), it seems like most of the better players would skip Event #11 order to enter the $5000 Omaha Hi-Lo Split that same afternoon.

I'd guess that Event #4 would likely have a higher level of talent, given that it's the only event of the day.

Of course, i'm going to have to adjust to my table. However, if i'm in the situation where my table is breaking up soonish, i'd like to know if my table is tougher or weaker than average.

Also, is it safe to say that the $3000 Limit Event #7 would be tougher than either?

AcesUp
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Based on my experiences last year (I played all the limit events and took 2nd in Event #4), a good percentage of the players aren't very good limit tournament players. Some of them are NL players who are trying out limit for the first time; some of them are non-poker-players who are trying tournaments for the first time, and think limit will be easier; and some are limit players who have never played tournaments and don't know how to adjust as the blinds increase.

So, the early stages of these things can be interesting, to say the least.

But, there are also some very good players mixed in, who are looking to capitalize on the poor play of most of the field.

Last year, I spent a lot of time playing with Carlos Mortensen, who I feel is probably one of the best limit tournament players around; I had never seen anyone control a limit table like he did. Also, players like Alan Goehring, who have a crazy NL style, can use that style to really screw with players in a limit tourney as well.

So, while the fields are relatively weak (in my opinion) for these events, it only takes one or two strong players at the table to make for a really tough event.

Good luck!

-Aces

GoblinMason (Craig)
06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Good to hear; I'll be in event 4.

-Craig