PDA

View Full Version : You Are Wrong

Jasper109
01-18-2006, 07:33 AM
You Are Wrong (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/if-youre-a-christian-mu_b_9349.html)

kurto
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
There's a lot of truthiness in there.

Prodigy54321
01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
There aren't exactly any actual "points" in there

--if religious people won't listen to solid arguments against their God, there's no way they would listen to that

that was a pretty useless article, although indeed there was a lot of truthiness to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kurto
01-18-2006, 01:17 PM
" The kind who send their religious leaders to the White House to argue against even-handedness in the Middle East because it would prevent their sick prophecy. " To point out that there dangers from this misquided leadership is a valid point.

It is dangerous/foolhardy for people to follow the manipulative myths from generations ago... valid point.

I think there's some good 'meat' in there.

Prodigy54321
01-18-2006, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
" The kind who send their religious leaders to the White House to argue against even-handedness in the Middle East because it would prevent their sick prophecy. " To point out that there dangers from this misquided leadership is a valid point.

It is dangerous/foolhardy for people to follow the manipulative myths from generations ago... valid point.

I think there's some good 'meat' in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that and...

[ QUOTE ]
And I know how powerful brainwashing is. We all received it when we were young and it is exceedingly difficult to break its grasp. But people dance around the issue out of politeness because they don't want to call you what you are -- ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

and..

[ QUOTE ]
I know most of you don't actually read your religious texts, and when you do, you assiduously try to avoid the parts that make no sense whatsoever or hide underneath the comforting grasp of your religious leaders who have concocted a bunch of circular logic (a crime to even use that word in regards to Christianity, Islam or Judaism) to shield you from the obvious folly of the written text.

[/ QUOTE ]

are good points, but I mean that besides those, this was a pretty bad way of trying to get an opinion across to religious people. This is more geared towards atheists.

the rest of the article just tells religious people how stupid they are for believing things that go against common sense (mohammed "fooling" people, wearing two types of cloth, shellfish, guy killing his son, etc.)

with regards to heaven he only says

[ QUOTE ]
In Heaven? What, with the harps and the winged angels and the 72 virgins? My God, how stupid do you have to be to believe that?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it's stupid, but there are no real "points" in it

Rduke55
01-18-2006, 01:40 PM
How could religious folks not see this rationale, stop going to church, impeach Bush, and start a utopian society where everyone dances and sings together and has enought to eat and never wages war? Way to start a dialogue and tolerate other's views!
That article is retarded and destructive.

Lestat
01-18-2006, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And I know how powerful brainwashing is. We all received it when we were young and it is exceedingly difficult to break its grasp. But people dance around the issue out of politeness because they don't want to call you what you are -- ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was the most poignant point of his essay.

Just how far must reasonable people go to insure that others are allowed their freedom of beliefs? How long must we bite our tongue and look the other way while people of supreme prominence and power use religious diatribe to set world policies that effect ALL of us? We have presidents, mayors, congressmen, rougue terrorist outlaws, heads of state, etc. all using God for insane justifications. It IS getting scary.

hmkpoker
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
boy, that's insightful

/blatant lie

Prodigy54321
01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just how far must reasonable people go to insure that others are allowed their freedom of beliefs? How long must we bite our tongue and look the other way while people of supreme prominence and power use religious diatribe to set world policies that effect ALL of us? We have presidents, mayors, congressmen, rougue terrorist outlaws, heads of state, etc. all using God for insane justifications. It IS getting scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I'd like for all policies to be considered from a point of view of an atheist, but as long as people will vote for them, these religious heads of state will continue to sculpt their policies to their religious views. I think the problem is with the average joe voting for them, and not the electee's religion oriented policies.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask people to keep their own personal religious views, but elect officials that will not consider those views in decision making.

Hopey
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
The article wasn't directed at religious people. It's directed at non-religious people. It isn't meant to sway relious peoples' beliefs. If I have learned nothing else from this forum, it's that religious people are so incredibly brainwashed that it is impossible to have a rational debate with them. Their "faith" is the trump card that defeats every argument you can make.

27offsuit
01-19-2006, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of truthiness in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

J. Stew
01-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Yadda yadda yadda. . . this guys calls jesus a lunatic but it's his own head that's about to explode. Yeah, people who believe religion is truth are wacky, but he's missing the subtle point that it's not religion that is truth but what religion points to that is truth. He believes his own thoughts as much as religious people believes their's which him just as wacky and with a bigger ego. Have fun in your personal hell of delusion buddy.

Jasper109
01-19-2006, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, people who believe religion is truth are wacky, but he's missing the subtle point that it's not religion that is truth but what religion points to that is truth. He believes his own thoughts as much as religious people believes their's which him just as wacky and with a bigger ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that what religious people believe is wacky, but the truth that religion points to is not wacky.
I must be really stupid, but that makes no sense to me. Could you explain.

Dominic
01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
harsh. But he's 100% correct.

siegfriedandroy
01-21-2006, 03:15 AM
wow, that guy is bright.