View Full Version : 3/6 Hi: Bad spot with AA

TheSalche
06-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Villain 1 is loose on 3rd, villain 2 has been making reasonable plays for the most part. Pacific 3/6 Hi

2h brings in
Qh folds
Villain 1: Ad calls___calls
Hero: AhAs 6c raises
Villain 2: 4h calls
2h folds

4th street:
Villain 1: Ad 5s folds
Hero: 6c 7h ???
Villain 2: 4h 4s single bets

cgrohman
06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Is he the type of call with 44 on 3rd? If not, I would raise here and then bet 5th. If I got played back at, I would go far far away.

Andy B
06-25-2006, 09:26 PM
How likely is it that this guy called your raise with split Fours? Bear in mind that he probably isn't putting you on Aces. I would think a typical player would be more likely to have a three-flush or some reasonable pocket pair, maybe 654. I'm inclined to just call along, as this loses a minimal amount if we're crushed and makes us close to the maximum if he's kidding himself. If he checks, I'm definitely betting, and if he check-raises, I'm done with the hand.

Another thing to consider is why did the other guy bet the minimum. There are a couple of possibilities. One is that like a lot of low-limit players, he doesn't like to gamble, and thus habitually bets the minimum. Another is that he has a monster and is stringing you along. It helps if you have some knowledge of your opponents.

Says the guy who cannot bring himself to look at the screen if he's not in a hand.

Wahoo73
06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with cgrohman...raise 4th and proceed accordingly, i.e., if he re-raises, proceed to the next hand; if he just calls your 4th street raise, go into "read and react" mode for the rest of the streets.

MRBAA
06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't agree with this "taking control of the hand" approach. Your hand is better than it looks, if your opponent is reasonable he could have started with hearts, a pocket pair or split 4s with a big kicker. I'd probably just peel here, planning to call down unless one of us hits something. If I make an open pair, I would bet.

The pot is still small, though, so against a really solid opponent head up it wouldn't be awful to fold.

TheSalche
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
This guy didn't seem like the type of player to call with split 4s on 3rd, he was tighter than that (should've said that rather than reasonable).

If I raise 4th should I raise a single bet or a double bet?

PoorLawyer
06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This guy didn't seem like the type of player to call with split 4s on 3rd, he was tighter than that (should've said that rather than reasonable).

If I raise 4th should I raise a single bet or a double bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to go the raising route I dont think you can get cutesy with it...just jack it up as much as they will let you.

MRBAA
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
But why inflate the pot now when you are likely behind or only a little ahead?

TheSalche
06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thoughts ... i figure him for two pair (little behind), or pair with some possible draws (more ahead, but not comfortably so)

PoorLawyer
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thoughts ... i figure him for two pair (little behind), or pair with some possible draws (more ahead, but not comfortably so)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why raise at all? There is nothing stopping you from calling down all the way. You will never know where you are in the hand, but it is the cheapest approach when you are behind, next to folding.

MRBAA
06-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, this is a hand where you will want to adjust your strategy depending what hits the board. If you make an open pair and have the lead on fifth or sixth, you'll want to bet (or i would). If he checks on fifth, you may want to bet. If he then checks on sixth and you are unimproved, you'll take a free one. It's not just about losing less, it's about maximizing your expectation against his range of hands and the range of cards that can fall on later streets.

PoorLawyer
06-27-2006, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, this is a hand where you will want to adjust your strategy depending what hits the board. If you make an open pair and have the lead on fifth or sixth, you'll want to bet (or i would). If he checks on fifth, you may want to bet. If he then checks on sixth and you are unimproved, you'll take a free one. It's not just about losing less, it's about maximizing your expectation against his range of hands and the range of cards that can fall on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you said. Still doesnt answer the question of if you are going to raise, how much. im not saying i would raise at all, but given the question I said if you raise 4th just pop it to 9...others say just min-raise to 6. I think if you are going to show strength, just show it.

MRBAA
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I wasn't responding to that, sorry.

PoorLawyer
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't responding to that, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think ive ever quite figured out the threaded posts as to what comes after what, etc.

Spladle
07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Pretty easy call.