PDA

View Full Version : Script for importing buddies

callmedonnie
01-18-2006, 01:14 AM
I did a search and have read the threads on Buddy Copy, Fishfinder, and Poker Buddy. Anyway, I just reformatted and need to import a ton of buddies into party. I had heard about a script that took care of this. I don't need a refined program, just something that works. Anyone know anything?

gasoltub
01-18-2006, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did a search and have read the threads on Buddy Copy, Fishfinder, and Poker Buddy. Anyway, I just reformatted and need to import a ton of buddies into party. I had heard about a script that took care of this. I don't need a refined program, just something that works. Anyone know anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

BuddyCopy still works.

callmedonnie
01-18-2006, 04:14 AM
I thought buddy copy was for copying from skin to skin, I need to copy them from poker tracker to party.

gasoltub
01-18-2006, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought buddy copy was for copying from skin to skin, I need to copy them from poker tracker to party.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can export from pokertracker to a text file and then use BuddyCopy to insert the contents of the file into the buddy list.

If you don't want to export all names, go to the preferences tab in pokertracker and setup the "Use Player Filter".
Next go to the Summary tab.
Click the little "p"-button just to the left of "Player Performance Summary".
The Print window will open up. Click the Export button in this window.
Make sure that the only checked row is Player.
Select "Comma separated" file type.
Uncheck "Include headers".
Select filename to export to.
Hit Export.
You will now have a text file with one buddy on each line. It will have the file extension .csv so you have to rename it to .txt.
Fire up BuddyCopy and select import from file.
And from there you can export to the skin.

cheers
gasoltub

callmedonnie
01-20-2006, 02:43 AM
This may sound really stupid as it is, but how do you convert from .csv to .txt? I tried using notepad, wordpad, and open office. I just tried to change the filename by addubg the suffix .txt, that didn't work.

Edit: I just opened a new text file and copied and pasted everything but I'm still curious.

callmedonnie
01-20-2006, 03:20 AM
New problem. Now that I got it working for some reason it crashes in the middle of the import every time.

zion
01-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Great utility.
Thanks for your help, gasoltub!

callmedonnie
01-21-2006, 02:41 PM
am I the only one having problems getting this to work? It gets about ten buddies deep and then either says it can't find the buddy ID input window not found or it gives me this other error.

Also its weird. For some reason say it crashes on the 4 th buddy first, the next time it crashes on the 5th, and so on.

gasoltub
01-21-2006, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may sound really stupid as it is, but how do you convert from .csv to .txt? I tried using notepad, wordpad, and open office. I just tried to change the filename by addubg the suffix .txt, that didn't work.

Edit: I just opened a new text file and copied and pasted everything but I'm still curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

A csv file is a text file. It just has the suffix csv instead of txt. So just renaming the file should really work.
How did the file contents look?
If you exported correctly from pokertracker it should be just one name on each line and no commas or anything else.

efficacy
01-22-2006, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually this occurs when the folder options are set to 'hide extensions for known types'. For Windows XP this is under Tools - Folder Options in the explorer window. If it is checked, then I think you are actually renaming it to buddy.txt.csv, so it is still a csv file. If you uncheck that box, you should just be able to rename the suffix.