PDA

View Full Version : General questions

PokerEveryDay
12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Long time stud player years ago but not much online. Burned out on Hold'em so I'm interested in Stud again. It looks like Party and Stars is the place to play?

Is the rake the same for Stud as Hold'em?

What about variance and BR requirments?

Thanks

greenage
12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like Party and Stars is the place to play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Shrug, those are the sites I play.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the rake the same for Stud as Hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]
I checked both Party and Stars rakes pages, and it looks like it is the same for all fixed limit games.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The FAQ (at the top of this forum) addresses BR requirements.

Maksymilian
12-31-2005, 04:27 PM
you ll find all the action you can handle on party stud esp. weekends

Pokeraddict
12-31-2005, 08:19 PM

For H/L IMO there is less variance and bankroll requirement. There is also less upside potential. If you have rakeback somewhere or are propping it is probably a better game with the bigger pots and lower variance.

The rake is the same for all games.

I'm there with you on the burnout issue. I propped for years and finally started playing stud8 and O8. It is a nice change. When someone is bad at those games it is much harder for them to get lucky IMO then at holdem and they tend to bleed much faster.

PokerEveryDay
12-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reponses. Unfortunantly since I have already signed up to the major rakeback sites long before rakeback was in effect, I can't get it? Don't get me wrong, I like Hold'em but there are some things about the game that get me frustrated like the luck factor. Seems there is too much of that and the variance is getting to me. I understand with H/L there would be less variance but what about Stud high? What difference if any between that and LHE?

Thanks again

greenage
12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
I’m a rec player so don’t concern myself too much with variance factors, but I think the tightly structured games should have pretty low variance. You can afford to wait for a good hand and don’t have to gamble as much.

Edid: I mostly play Stud High.

Pokeraddict
12-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Greenage has a good point, also avoid games once they get 6 handed or less as this will cause a much higher variance.

Andy B
01-01-2006, 03:49 PM
It used to be that stud had a higher variance than hold'em. With the double-blind structure in modern limit hold'em games, and especially with all the action junkies that are drawn to the game, the pots in limit hold'em get very big before the flop, so that game has much higher variance. I think the biggest downswing I've ever had playing stud is 80 BB, but I run good.

PokerEveryDay
01-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah, and I play mostly the 6-max LHE which is big time variance. Long handed NL is the least but it has its own demons. If 80BB is the most you have seen (being a winning player) then 80 doesn't seem too bad. It really comes down to tilting or not in those situations. Human nature is always working against us when we lose a lot(including bad beats) or the losing streaks go on and on. I might be wrong, but in stud there should be less luck and more skill than in Hold'em. Not to mention less bad beats.

Thanks