PDA

View Full Version : Event #17

JKratzer
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
i am going to be in vegas the weekend of the 7-9th partying with friends. i thought about sticking around and playing some poker afterwards and i checked out the schedule of wsop events. #17 is the 10th which would work for me, and it's $1000 NL 3-day.

i don't know a whole bunch about the wsop, but is there any reason why they have so many apparently similar events? is this event any better/worse than the other ones? do you guys have any advice regarding this event?

also, i would plan on just buying a seat through stars since i assume i could save a little by buying $T, right?

thanks for the info, haven't played a big tourney before live.

jkratzer

LearnedfromTV
06-21-2006, 12:07 PM
So many similar events is just a demand issue. Every NLHE event gets way more players than non-NLHE events, so more balance isn't in their financial interest. This is going to be my first year, but my sense is that the opening event (actually event #2) might have a few more players than the other low buyin events, but otherwise no real difference between any of them.

Oh, you can buyin w/ W$, but only if Event 17 is on their list (I think only televised events). W$ are T$ but only for WSOP and WCOOP events. It's easy to find W$ for 90% ($900) or sometimes a little lower, check the MTT Community forum for a trading thread. I did this for event 6 ($2000 NLHE) and saved $200.

AcesUp
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
The WSOP has lots of tourneys because they have lots of demand. Most of the demand is for hold'em, which is why there are a lot of HE events, and most of the demand is for the lower buy-in events, which is why there are more lower buy-in events ($1500 events instead of $5000 events).

As for the difference, the biggest difference is in starting chips. Generally, for WSOP events, you start with a number of chips commensurate with the buy-in. So, a $1500 buy-in event would start with T1500, a $5000 buy-in event would start with T5000, etc.

Other than that, the structures are all identical. One hour rounds, equivalent blinds, etc.

Of course, different games have different structures. For example, limit events never have antes...

-Aces

LearnedfromTV
06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
The main difference between buyins 1000-2500 is that you start with the number of chips in the buyin, but the blinds are all the same, so the $1000 event is much more of a crapshoot (start w/ 40BB v 60BB for a $1500 event or 80BB for a $2000, etc).

olivert
06-21-2006, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am going to be in vegas the weekend of the 7-9th partying with friends. i thought about sticking around and playing some poker afterwards and i checked out the schedule of wsop events. #17 is the 10th which would work for me, and it's $1000 NL 3-day.

i don't know a whole bunch about the wsop, but is there any reason why they have so many apparently similar events? is this event any better/worse than the other ones? do you guys have any advice regarding this event?

also, i would plan on just buying a seat through stars since i assume i could save a little by buying $T, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The deadline for using PokerStars W$ to buy into Event 17 is June 24 so you better act quickly.

Note that only those PokerStars player who have attained SilverStar VIP status can use W$ to buy in. In order to obtain SilverStar VIP status, you need to earn 1500 VIP points in a month by playing ring games and/or tournaments.

JKratzer
06-22-2006, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The deadline for using PokerStars W$ to buy into Event 17 is June 24 so you better act quickly.

Note that only those PokerStars player who have attained SilverStar VIP status can use W$ to buy in. In order to obtain SilverStar VIP status, you need to earn 1500 VIP points in a month by playing ring games and/or tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't play at stars much, i guess no discount for me. thanks for the info though, i appreciate it.

jkratzer