PDA

View Full Version : WSOP: Which day 1 would be best to play

stan1541
06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I am wondering which day one would be best to play for the ME. Assuming all days fill up, wouldn't it be better to play 1a and then have 3 days to rest assuming you win? Or is 1d best because you can stay in the groove easier? Anyone have ideas on which pros are playing what days?

I think I am going to ask for day 1a so that you can just jump in and get going rather that waiting and knowing people are playing and your NOT!

Anyways, thoughts?

greg44
06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Yea definitely play one of the first two days because it would suck to have to play for 7 straight days

mlagoo
06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I chose day 1C as my first priority. I think one day is plenty of time to rest, and I don't want to like get out of my "WSOP mindset." Plus day 1C is a sunday, which means I can get there the day before and not miss any work during the prior week.

also this way if known pros go bust on the first/second day i will be sure to tell my family/friends "i outlasted doyle brunson."

LearnedfromTV
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea definitely play one of the first two days because it would suck to have to play for 7 straight days

[/ QUOTE ]

You get two days off no matter what. Everyone gets Thursday and Day 2 is split Tu/Wed.

I haven't found out yet but I'm ranking the days in reverse order with Monday first. That way I can still work Friday, settle in over the weekend, play some cash games, and then play M/W/F if I make it that far. I think psychologically it will be nice to have seen how the other Day 1's went, plus if I bust Day 1 or 2 at least I prolong the experience as much as possible. I'm going to be there for the whole week regardless, would like to still be in the tournament for some of that time.

06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also this way if known pros go bust on the first/second day i will be sure to tell my family/friends "i outlasted doyle brunson."

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. This was my strategy to make my Party Poker Million V experience seem a lot cooler when I told my friends the stories.

In any case, I prioritized my choice for Day 1 as follows:

1st choice - Day 1b
Reason: Friends/family will definitely be able to be there for the entire day to watch me.

2nd choice - Day 1c

3rd choice - Day 1d

4th choice - Day 1a

Solitare
06-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I went with 1B/1C/1A/1D and got 1B.

I'm arriving on Thursday and I wanted at least one day to get used to the environment, but I didn't want to wait four days before playing.

po-Jay-to
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
My rule for ranking in a tournament is:
Everyone from the first one knocked out to the bubble boy are all TIED ...FOR LAST PLACE.

Therefore, if Doyle is busted in day 1 a,b,c, or d. You will be tied with him.

boo5000
06-20-2006, 05:08 PM
He used the term "outlasted" - a great spin on it and certainly acceptable. If Doyle is out before he was in a temporal sense he has "outlasted" him.

I'd be telling people that too. But they would know, as I would be at the FT /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yuv
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
1C/1B/1D/1A. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give me 1A. I got the first day in the PCA and the jet leg killed me. Come on Harrah, give me a freaking break.

1C will be perfect. Plenty of time to get settle, to understand that i'm at the [censored] WSOP, maybe play a few hours of live poker to calm my nerves and bust on the first hand with AA vs KK.

MicroBob
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You get two days off no matter what. Everyone gets Thursday and Day 2 is split Tu/Wed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Some of those in this thread need to look more closely at the schedule.

Also, I don't know whether all 4 days will fill up but I think it hardly matters for this Q.

anyway - the schedule:

July 28 - day 1a
July 29 - day 1b
July 30 - day 1c
July 31 - day 1d
Aug 1 - day 2a (1a and 1b survivors)
Aug 2 - day 2b (1c and 1d survivors)
Aug 3 - everyone gets a day off
Aug 4 - all survivors combined. 1600 players remaining play down to 600

link to WSOP site (http://worldseriesofpoker.com/2006wsop.asp)

dogsballs
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Some of those in this thread need to look more closely at the schedule.

Also, I don't know whether all 4 days will fill up but I think it hardly matters for this Q.

anyway - the schedule:

July 28 - day 1a
July 29 - day 1b
July 30 - day 1c
July 31 - day 1d
Aug 1 - day 2a (1a and 1b survivors)
Aug 2 - day 2b (1c and 1d survivors)
Aug 3 - everyone gets a day off
Aug 4 - all survivors combined. 1600 players remaining play down to 600

link to WSOP site (http://worldseriesofpoker.com/2006wsop.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

you in it bob?

MicroBob
06-20-2006, 10:00 PM
after about 9-zillion dollars down the drain in various satellites my answer remains 'no'.

If someone could get the folks at bodog to turn off the damn doom-switch on me so as to prevent all those 2-outers I would appreciate it very much. Although my bankroll is so depleted right now that it likely doesn't matter anyway because I've resigned to just say 'eh, maybe next year.'

davidross
06-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Mrs davidross keeps asking me if you're in it too /images/graemlins/mad.gif hmmm

Dear Bodog...keep up the good work.

MicroBob
06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
har har. You're not out of the woods yet though.

FullTilt and PokerStars are having those giant 150-seat guaranteed qualifiers in a few weeks.
If I run hot in that time and have some spare cash around then I will allow myself to blow a few more bucks on satellites.

right now though I'm just playing catch-up from running kind of badly and blowing through satellite entry after satellite entry.

Ditch Digger
06-21-2006, 02:21 AM
I requested 1d so I can get there on Thursday and get all my partying out of the way before gametime.

justfold1
06-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Saturday, don't have to miss work, means more common people, = worse players.

MicroBob
06-21-2006, 11:11 PM
To get there for a Saturday start you would probably have to fly out there on Friday. Meaning you do need to miss a day of work.

I doubt they will be more 'common-folk' on Saturday, but I could be wrong.