PDA

View Full Version : Effects of God Debates

evolvedForm
06-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Indicate the consequences, if any, debates in this forum have had on your views regarding God. Has your view changed as a result of debates on this forum (including any links or secondary material you read BECAUSE of this forum)? This does not include material you would have read had you not visited this forum.

If your view has changed, please enlighten us.

Lestat
06-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I went from agnostic to atheist. Before participating on this forum I didn't believe in God, but my feeling was more like "I can't know for sure, so I must be agnostic".

But I've since changed my view to where I'm sure enough about there not being any such things as gods to call myself an atheist. Ironically, it was reading the theistic arguments on here that caused me to form harder based conclusions with much less doubt and apathy about it.

madnak
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
My view hasn't changed, but that doesn't mean the debates had no value.

soon2bepro
06-19-2006, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My view hasn't changed, but that doesn't mean the debates had no value.

[/ QUOTE ]

AceofSpades
06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
My view changed from christian to someone without belief in a personal God. I'd wouldn't say the forum was the cause of that, but arguing on here definitely helped me solidify what I believe now.

chezlaw
06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I started as an agnostic, now I'm an athiest. I briefly considered becoming an agnostic theist.

I never changed my beliefs about god.

chez

LuckOfTheDraw
06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
It was actually the majority of posts in OOT that convinced me there is no god.

RJT
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was actually the majority of posts in OOT that convinced me there is no god.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean those poor souls have no chance? Pity they have nothing better to look forward to. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

RJT
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never changed my beliefs about god.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'll not change my beliefs about grammar. (49, btw)

RJT

evolvedForm
06-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that would still warrant a vote for Agnostic to Atheist.

Not sure I'm understanding you; are saying it doesn't?

chezlaw
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that would still warrant a vote for Agnostic to Atheist.

Not sure I'm understanding you; are saying it doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only reason I've changed from agnostic to atheist is because after much debate the meanings of the word's have changed for me. That which I used to think was agnostic, I now think is atheist.

It's what passes for humour in my strange world. In cyberspace they can't hear you scream.

chez

luckyme
06-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Reading this forum I went from a passive, fairly complacent atheist of the "oh, well, at least it keeps them off the street on sunday" variety to a " consilience/integration is ludicrous, and Jerry Falwell is a reasonable moderate theist representative" put-my-name-down-for-a-species-change one.

bunny
06-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I began as a theist with lots of gaps in my thinking and have so far survived with that theism intact, though slightly bruised and battered.

I post here for the purely selfish reason of having my beliefs challenged and tested, not to persuade anyone I am right. In that regard, the debates on God have been hugely beneficial to me as they have made me think about lots of peripheral issues I didnt even realise were problematical for me (heaven/hell, canonicity, omnipotence-omniscience conflict, etc).

I think the quality of discussion on this forum is very high and usually gives me a fresh and challenging perspective on any issue, God included. I agree with madnak that the discussion doesnt need to change my views for it to have value to me.