PDA

View Full Version : Ante structures and site suggestions

Songwind
01-17-2006, 04:29 PM
I've seen "Party's ante structure is stupid" what feels like 100 times since I started reading this forum about a week ago.

So, I was wondering what sort of ante structure we should be looking for? I haven't been able to find any real rules, or even guidelines for this. I have found any number of descriptions of how the ante works, but that's about it.

Right now I have been playing Stud/8 at PokerStars and Absolute in the microlimits. Stars has a .01 ante on .04/.08 tables, and Absolute has the same ante on their .10/.25 tables. I'm over-rolled for either limit - I'm just playing below my roll until I start to feel a bit more comfortable with Stud games.

PoorLawyer
01-17-2006, 04:48 PM
With the exception of Paradise's no ante .5/1 game, I don't think you can beat the structure on Stars. I don't know what the Party one is, but is something like .25 ante for a .5/1 game which is very high. It turns the game into much more of a crapshoot because you need to play more hands so you don't get whittled away by the ante. At only .10 ante for the same game on stars, you can wait for good starting hands without feeling pressured to get involved in hands.

preiserone
01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Check the FAQ, I think I recall an explanation of ante structure on there but I'm to lazy to look.

Around 10% of a small bet is typical ante structure, which is what stars uses.

frappeboy
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
A typical structure should have between .5BB-1BB in the pot to start in a full game (this includes the bring-in). Anything significantly less or more than this is a bad structure.

Beavis68
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
AP has a 5c ante at .5/1 I believe. At least for S8b.

UB has a pretty crappy structure too.