PDA

View Full Version : The Scariest Thing I've Ever Seen on TV

Borodog
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Just watched a program on the eventual megatsunami that will be generated by the collapse of the Cumbre Vieja, the active volcano on the island of Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. It's highly unstable, and when it collapses, half a trillion tons of rock will hit the Atlantic Ocean, driving a megatsunami 2000 feet tall at almost 500 miles per hour across the ocean. It will strike and destroy every city on the east coast of the United States (I don't see how it won't wipe out every city on the east coast of the entire Americas, as well as all the Carribean island nations, but they didn't mention it specifically).

It's not a question of if, but when this happens. In 1949 Cumbre Vieja erupted, and the western side of the island slipped almost 15 feet toward the ocean before stopping. When it finally lets go, tens of millions of people are going to die. Even after crossing the ocean the wave will be hundreds of feet high, and will wipe out everything up to 12 miles from the coast. There will be approximately 8 hours warning, but you know millions won't make it.

Scary [censored].

gdsdiscgolfer
06-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Travel/Discovery Channels wouldn't exist if they couldn't scare people like this

tomdemaine
06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
http://www.chud.com/chudvd/reviews/images11/billabong03.jpg

surf's up

HSB
06-18-2006, 12:22 AM
You can practically get to Ohio from Boston with eight hours notice.

Lestat
06-18-2006, 12:28 AM
What was the name of this show? Will it be re-aired?

Lestat
06-18-2006, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alongside millions of other people going in the same direction?

Borodog
06-18-2006, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye lad. There's the rub.

Borodog
06-18-2006, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What was the name of this show? Will it be re-aired?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was just "Megatsunami". I've seen it before, so I'm sure it will air again.

MrMon
06-18-2006, 12:50 AM
That's nothing. Just wait until Yellowstone goes off again.

Borodog
06-18-2006, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's nothing. Just wait until Yellowstone goes off again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cumbre Vieja will drop long before Yellowstone goes again.

hmkpoker
06-18-2006, 01:29 AM
This is all global warming's fault.

Phil153
06-18-2006, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

surf's up

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

bluesbassman
06-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Here is what appears to be a credible opposing view.

Mega Tsunami Threat (http://www.drgeorgepc.com/TsunamiMegaEvaluation.html)

Borodog
06-18-2006, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm skeptical. Both because of the format this "paper" is presented in, and because the author includes no calculations whatsoever. He merely claims that previous authors have neglected effects such as dispersion of the wave energy and overestimated certain parameters, such as speed and monolithicity of the collapse. By how much? Where are *his* models? If the wave that strikes the eastern US is only 50 feet high instead of 500, is that supposed to be "good"?

MelchyBeau
06-18-2006, 01:21 PM
yellowstone erupting doesn't scare you?

JMAnon
06-18-2006, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get to Columbia, South Carolina, from Charleston, South Carolina, in an hour and a half. But when Charleston was evacuated during Hurricane Floyd, for folks who stayed on the highway, the trip took between twenty-three and twenty-six hours. For those who took side streets and rural routes (like me), it took over seven hours. And that was with several days notice and many people staying to ride out the storm. The population of the Charleston metropolitan area is approximately 500,000. Now imagine what evacuating the New York City metropolitan area (population approximately 18.7 million) would be like on seven to eight hours notice.

Cyrus
06-18-2006, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When it collapses, half a trillion tons of rock will hit the Atlantic Ocean, driving a megatsunami 2000 feet tall at almost 500 miles per hour across the ocean. It will strike and destroy every city on the east coast of the United States.
<font color="white"> . </font>
Tens of millions of people are going to die. There will be approximately 8 hours warning, but you know millions won't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you suppose the United States should be thinking about organising something as a nation - or should it leave this totally to the private sector ?

FlFishOn
06-18-2006, 03:15 PM
So let's bottom line the red state/blue state electorial consequences. I imagine I'm going to like it. NY - 6 Electorial votes, MA 4, NJ 5, plus the entire liberal coast of FL. Works for me.

ImsaKidd
06-18-2006, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get to Columbia, South Carolina, from Charleston, South Carolina, in an hour and a half. But when Charleston was evacuated during Hurricane Floyd, for folks who stayed on the highway, the trip took between twenty-three and twenty-six hours. For those who took side streets and rural routes (like me), it took over seven hours. And that was with several days notice and many people staying to ride out the storm. The population of the Charleston metropolitan area is approximately 500,000. Now imagine what evacuating the New York City metropolitan area (population approximately 18.7 million) would be like on seven to eight hours notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a helicopter?

tbach24
06-18-2006, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens when yellowstone erupts?

flatline
06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens when yellowstone erupts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a huge supervolcano. Wiki Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera)
It would cause millions of deaths if it erupted. However, the chances of it happening in the next thousand years are miniscule.

LuckOfTheDraw
06-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I saw this show on the Discovery Channel where it said the sun would eventually bloat up to such a large size that it will actually swallow Earth. Planetary doom, appearantly, is also not a question of if, but when. Scary stuff.

MelchyBeau
06-18-2006, 08:09 PM
yea but thats nothing compared to the inevitable collision between our galaxy and the andromeda galaxy

bluesbassman
06-18-2006, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw this show on the Discovery Channel where it said the sun would eventually bloat up to such a large size that it will actually swallow Earth. Planetary doom, appearantly, is also not a question of if, but when. Scary stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that won't happen for another 5 billion years. Given my age, I'm certain to be dead within 50 years, and everyone else alive today won't be far behind in the scheme of things.

That's much scarier, imho. (Of course, many if not most people do not accept this, and claim they will live forever in a "different" form.)

PokerAmateur4
06-19-2006, 03:23 AM
So why don't we get an international coalition together to scoop out the land and put it on some more stable land or something?

Borodog
06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When it collapses, half a trillion tons of rock will hit the Atlantic Ocean, driving a megatsunami 2000 feet tall at almost 500 miles per hour across the ocean. It will strike and destroy every city on the east coast of the United States.
Tens of millions of people are going to die. There will be approximately 8 hours warning, but you know millions won't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you suppose the United States should be thinking about organising something as a nation - or should it leave this totally to the private sector ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Organizing what as a nation? Preventing a volcanic island from collapsing? How?

morphball
06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
From what I read, when the landslide happens, there will be a bubble of raised water immediately off the island hundreds of feet high, now that would be something to see...I have also read that the waves might not be that high by the time it reaches the North American coasts, but still plenty high to kill and destroy a lot.

Yellowstone could go off at any second, btw, they have just started observing the Volcano recently, in fact they didn't even know it was a volcano until the Space Shuttle saw the caldera. They have no background levels to compare the activity to, and the place goes up and down as the magma chamber swells...the fact is it's anyone's guess.

Cyrus
06-20-2006, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Organizing what as a nation? Preventing a volcanic island from collapsing?

[/ QUOTE ]That's obviously not what the organising should aim at. Try again.

TomBrooks
06-20-2006, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just watched a program on the eventual megatsunami that will be generated by the collapse of the Cumbre Vieja,...after crossing the ocean the wave will be hundreds of feet high

[/ QUOTE ]
I estimate the wave will be no more than 10' high, but more likely no more than 5' high.

diddle
06-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Cannonball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Borodog
06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just watched a program on the eventual megatsunami that will be generated by the collapse of the Cumbre Vieja,...after crossing the ocean the wave will be hundreds of feet high

[/ QUOTE ]
I estimate the wave will be no more than 10' high, but more likely no more than 5' high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post your calculations?

CORed
06-20-2006, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless everybody else that lives in Boston is trying to do so at the same time.

Evacuating the Florida Keys, Outer Banks and many other barrier islands isn't going to happen in eight hours.

MuresanForMVP
06-20-2006, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yea but thats nothing compared to the inevitable collision between our galaxy and the andromeda galaxy

[/ QUOTE ]

again, this is gonna be in about 3 billion years...who cares?

TheHusky
06-21-2006, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Organizing what as a nation? Preventing a volcanic island from collapsing? How?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuke it?

wacki
06-21-2006, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ credible

LuckOfTheDraw
06-21-2006, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ credible

[/ QUOTE ]

But, look at all the pretty colors.

Quaalude
06-21-2006, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just watched a program on the eventual megatsunami that will be generated by the collapse of the Cumbre Vieja, the active volcano on the island of Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. It's highly unstable, and when it collapses, half a trillion tons of rock will hit the Atlantic Ocean, driving a megatsunami 2000 feet tall at almost 500 miles per hour across the ocean. It will strike and destroy every city on the east coast of the United States (I don't see how it won't wipe out every city on the east coast of the entire Americas, as well as all the Carribean island nations, but they didn't mention it specifically).

It's not a question of if, but when this happens. In 1949 Cumbre Vieja erupted, and the western side of the island slipped almost 15 feet toward the ocean before stopping. When it finally lets go, tens of millions of people are going to die. Even after crossing the ocean the wave will be hundreds of feet high, and will wipe out everything up to 12 miles from the coast. There will be approximately 8 hours warning, but you know millions won't make it.

Scary [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I've always thought that this would make an awesome terrorist attack. One strategically placed nuclear device, and goodbye East Coast. Or maybe I think too much like Dr. Evil. Muhahahaha!

Reef
06-21-2006, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can (slowly) walk 15 miles in 8 hours.

flatline
06-21-2006, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You know, I've always thought that this would make an awesome terrorist attack. One strategically placed nuclear device, and goodbye East Coast. Or maybe I think too much like Dr. Evil. Muhahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly would make a great season of 24!

Cue-Ball 66
06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
If you dropped a nuke in the ocean, would it cause a tsunami?

CORed
06-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Besides, if I am not mistaken, the collision of galaxies won't really have much effect on the habitability of Earth (which will be nearing an end due to the impending expansion of the sun into a red giant anyway). As I understand it, the "collision" of galaxies will cause lots of changes the orbits of stars and result into the two spiral galaxies merging into one elliptical galaxy, but the probability of any other stars coming close enough to the sun to disrupt our orgit is extremely low.

MuresanForMVP
06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm not gonna over reach my bounds and say that everything'll be fine and dandy here on Earth ,because noone knows for sure whether that will be the case, but people have to consider that two galaxies "colliding" isn't like a car crash... there's so much empty space the galaxies more or less meld into one over a long long period of time, and the probabilities of individual stars actually colliding with one another is extremely low. It's not very scary at all...

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can (slowly) walk 15 miles in 8 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I was gonna say the same thing. Just making sure somebody said it.

guesswest
06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy a helicopter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying a boat would be cheaper and more useful /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Duke
06-23-2006, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

surf's up

[/ QUOTE ]

Bodhi should have waited for that one.

~D

BigSoonerFan
06-23-2006, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, eventually even the closest galaxies (and stars?) will be beyond our vision.

And I'm afraid of the dark.....

damaniac
06-24-2006, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given all the nuclear tests in/around the ocean, I'm pretty sure no. Maybe if you exploded several H-bombs underwater? I don't have the science background for that.

According to Wiki, this is only expected in the next few thousand years AND there's some debate as to whether or not the waves would dissapate in the open sea.

But while we're on over-hyped threats, what's up with the killer bees? Haven't heard much from them lately.

LuckOfTheDraw
06-24-2006, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I've heard that in galactic collisions, very few stars actually strike eachother. The galaxies mostly just pass through eachother and gravity sends everything flying in crazy directions. I'm not sure if this would disrupt our orbit around the sun or not, though.

Myrtle
06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy a helicopter?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps buying a used Boston Whaler and parking it in your backyard would be the thing for those who are concerned?

Overdrive
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Eat, drink and be merry. For tommorrow we die.

HLMencken
06-24-2006, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But while we're on over-hyped threats, what's up with the killer bees? Haven't heard much from them lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the entire southern US was killed off, well those that survived the fire ants calamity... didn't you hear?

guesswest
06-24-2006, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy a helicopter?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps buying a used Boston Whaler and parking it in your backyard would be the thing for those who are concerned?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant to take out to sea, I believe the wave would be pretty harmless a short distance out - but that works too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jman220
06-25-2006, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

jman220
06-25-2006, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you exploded several H-bombs underwater?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is still no.

CORed
06-26-2006, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Africanized honeybees (so-called killer bees) are already in Southern California, Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, an possibly other southen areas. In South America, they have become predominant in tropical and subtropical areas, but European type honeybees have remained predominant in area with cold winters. The same pattern will likely occur in the US.

CORed
06-26-2006, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the entire southern US was killed off, well those that survived the fire ants calamity... didn't you hear?

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it. To make it worse, all those damn bees voted for Bush in 2004.

Don_Keehaawtee
06-30-2006, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(Of course, many if not most people do not accept this, and claim they will live forever in a "different" form.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i will come back in the "next" life as Clonie Gowen's card protector

Don_Keehaawtee
06-30-2006, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a megatsunami 2000 feet tall at almost 500 miles per hour across the ocean.

[/ QUOTE ]

cowabunga dude... Surf's Up!!!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jschaud
07-03-2006, 03:16 AM
http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/JavaLab/GalCrashWeb/main.html

for other bored people. simulation for galaxies crashing into one another