PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds/small edges…help!

jackaaron
01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Just trying to work some things out before I get to the table so to speak. I think I know the answer, but I like to be sure, and I think this is a very good place to be sure…

Okay, I have TT. A few limpers get in, and I raise. Everyone folds except a tight player that reraises me all in, and I can confidently put him on AA, KK, or AK.

Calling his raise would give me 3:2 odds. For example, if I was spending 4000, the pot had 6000 in it.

When I do TT vs. AA,KK,AK in pokerstove, I find that TT is also a 3:2 dog against that range of hands. So, I think I should call this bet.

But, is this correct thinking? I think this is a good call, but am I forgetting something here? Of course, this goes on the basis that I am correct in my reads.

vypremik
01-17-2006, 04:23 PM
If you are sure you are up against AA or KK, you should not call unless you are getting 4:1 or better on your money (you probably aren't). AK is a race, so a call is not bad if you are up against that.

I think the real issure here is your read. Think about this. If YOU were holding AA and someone raised, would YOU go all in?

Generally, only a beginnner, or a pro with an excellent read, would opt to go all in pre-flop with such a powerful hand. A big raise is normal, but all-in is not, unless the player is on a short-stack or up against a bunch of limpers.

If you are playing against a beginner, your read may be right, otherwise you are getting much better odds than you think.

AaronBrown
01-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I would do this a little differently. You're about 20% against AA or KK, and about 57% against AK. There are 6 AA's, 6 KK's and 16 AK's. (6*20% + 6*20% + 16*57%)/28 = 41%, which is more or less what PokerStove is doing.

However, he's more likely to go all in with AA or KK than AK. lowers your probability. On the other hand, there's some chance he's bluffing, or playing loose, that increases your probability.