PDA

View Full Version : You have beautiful genes.

soko
06-15-2006, 03:30 PM
This concept came to me today and as obvious as it is, it struck me profoundly.

If you consider your own personal gene library inside your DNA in relation to the evolution of humanity and consider every mating pair of living creatures from ones earliest ancestor to their current parents over however many millions of years this all took place there are the following truths:

None of your ancestors have ever died before reaching the age of sexual maturity.

None of your ancestors were born with a genetic fault rendering them unable to copulate.

And

None of your ancestors died a virgin.

hmkpoker
06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
False.

There are still ugly people around, because there's always someone as horny as you are ugly.

FlFishOn
06-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Here's how I read that. Of all the traits selected for over all time, reproductive ability seems to be #1 by a mile.

How does that leave room for a genetic basis for homosexuality?

hmkpoker
06-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Girls are for babies, boys are for fun.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

r3vbr
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Girls are for babies, boys are for fun.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! gayest comment ever?

tolbiny
06-15-2006, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's how I read that. Of all the traits selected for over all time, reproductive ability seems to be #1 by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an overstatement. The OP could also have siad no ancestor of yours ever starved to death before reproducing, or committed suicide, or was unable to take a drink of water.

Rduke55
06-15-2006, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because selection happens at the gene, not the individual.

For example, some studies have shown that sisters of homosexual men may be hyperfertile. This suggests that the "gene for homosexuality" has different effects depending on gender.
Examples similar to this idea are rampant. A more extreme example is saying "Why hasn't the gene that predisposes worker behavior in ants been selected out?"

In all actuality, we're most likely talking about a bunch of genes which makes blanket statements like "If queerness is genetic it would have been selected out by now." ridiculous since different combinations of alleles may have wildly different influences in fitness leading those pesky gay genes to not only avoid being selected out but actually selected for.

For example, lets take that most feminine of neuropeptides - oxytocin.
Let's say certain combinations of alleles make men with high oxytocin levels and this causes them to be gay. WHy hasn't that damn oxytocin gene been selected out?
Well it's responsible for bonding between mother and child, between woman and mate, lactation, labor, and recently implicated, along with its macho partner vasopressin, in general social behaviors. Pretty important, right?
Here's a thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4379677&an=&page=&vc=1)

chezlaw
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
because its #1 not the only one.

What's the genetic basis for bigotry.

chez

Nielsio
06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This concept came to me today and as obvious as it is, it struck me profoundly.

If you consider your own personal gene library inside your DNA in relation to the evolution of humanity and consider every mating pair of living creatures from ones earliest ancestor to their current parents over however many millions of years this all took place there are the following truths:

None of your ancestors have ever died before reaching the age of sexual maturity.

None of your ancestors were born with a genetic fault rendering them unable to copulate.

And

None of your ancestors died a virgin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah! What are the odds?!

FlFishOn
06-15-2006, 07:33 PM
"None of your ancestors have ever died before reaching the age of sexual maturity.

And

None of your ancestors died a virgin. "

These will not be axioms going forward.

pilliwinks
06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Exactly: while you are able to trace a line of descent in which the parents avoided these problems, every other member of your family at each generation may have had all of them.

Feeling lucky?

Copernicus
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"None of your ancestors have ever died before reaching the age of sexual maturity.

And

None of your ancestors died a virgin. "

These will not be axioms going forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if Jesus' mom didnt die a virgin, it was irrelevant to his genes, so I guess they werent so beautiful.

CallMeIshmael
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I challenge you to try to understand how termites can exist, considering that most of the species are not reproductively active.