PDA

View Full Version : AQ vs AK

Duck Rabbit
01-17-2006, 06:01 AM
While lying awake in bed for a few hours, I was thinking of this situation. If you had AQ in the big blind, and someone raised (limit), and you knew they had you dominated with AK (It can be other types of dominated hands as well), and everyone folded around to you, would you call? You are getting 7:2 or 3.5:1 on the call and are only a 3:1 underdog.

I think the answer is that you should call if there will be no more betting since pot odds dicate a call, but since that rarely happens, you should fold since having to call a flop and turn bet would make your pot odds 5:3.5 or put more simply, less than 2:1.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense or if I'm just babbling. It's really late and I can't fall asleep. Just had to get some of my rambling poker thoughts out.

vypremik
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
The gut reaction is to fold. It seems like the correct answer.

However, if you know his hand and he does not know yours, you can have a great advantage after the flop. Therefore you actually should call here to make the most of your advantage.

There are really only three things that can happen on the flop:

1) He flops a great hand. Then you have to fold.

2) A Queen comes (no A,K, straight or flush draws). Then you are in great shape and you can attack the pot, knowing you are in the lead.

3) The flop misses both of you. Here you have the perfect bluffing opportunity. Sure, it missed you, but it also missed him. You know it missed him, but he doesn't know it missed you. You should be able to bluff your way into a win here.

The domination isn't bad at all if you are the only one who knows it.

Good half-awake question.