PDA

View Full Version : If some zips are dips.....

stevie555
06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Assume these two assumptions are true:
(1) some zips are dips
(2) some dips are quips
Then, are some zips definitely quips?

This is a common question seen on IQ tests, and I always assumed that if some x = y, and some y = z, then yes, some x are definitely equal to z. Is this true?

Thythe
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
No, it is not true. Some apples are green and some green things are blades of grass. So are some apples blades of grass? The answer is no.

stevie555
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
what if these were the statements :
(1) All zips are dips
(2) All dips are quips
Then, surely, all zips definitely quips?

hmkpoker
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
This is remedial bordering on insulting.

Homer
06-13-2006, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume these two assumptions are true:
(1) some zips are dips
(2) some dips are quips
Then, are some zips definitely quips?

This is a common question seen on IQ tests, and I always assumed that if some x = y, and some y = z, then yes, some x are definitely equal to z. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not true. The zips that are dips aren't necessarily the same ones that are quips. You could have one zip that's a dip and an entirely different dip that's a quip.

Look, I made a diagram. I like to make diagrams.

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/2263/diagram2se.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fm191124
06-14-2006, 01:16 AM
i took a philosophy and logic class, it was basically these types of questions for a whole semester, with no philosophy added in. ,,, not what i was looking for in the class and dont recomend it,,,, yes iknow my statment doenst have much relevance to the post

chrisnice
06-14-2006, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i took a philosophy and logic class, it was basically these types of questions for a whole semester, with no philosophy added in. ,,, not what i was looking for in the class and dont recomend it,,,, yes iknow my statment doenst have much relevance to the post

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should take this course. Some type of basic logic course should be mandatory in high school.