PDA

View Full Version : Powerball cash vs. annuity jackpot values- official reason

Lottery Larry
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
In case anyone else noticed that the cash prize for the Powerball was down to 45% of the annunity and wondered why, I found this today on the Powerball site. I wasn't aware that they'd moved to a graduated annuity for the jackpot.

Also, check out the 70% vig admission in the third sentence!

"WHY HAS THE CASH JACKPOT GONE DOWN?

Actually, it is the annuity jackpot that has gone UP. Most people assume that we start with the annuity, but we really start with the cash jackpot. In the Powerball game, thirty cents of every dollar sold goes into the cash jackpot pool. The difference between the cash jackpot and the annuity jackpot depends on how much we can make in interest earnings. The more interest that we can make, the higher the annuity jackpot. In times of high interest rates, the annuity prize will go UP and the difference between the two jackpot amounts will increase. It is not that we have reduced the cash; but only that we have been able to increase the annuity prize. All of the cash jackpot and the interest earned is paid to the winner for the annuity.

Interest rates are slowly rising, which does increase the annuity jackpot (reduces the cash percentage), but a change in the payment method of the Powerball annuity prize is the big reason for the increased interest earnings to build the annuity prize. The annuity is now paid out as a graduated annuity. Each payment is 4% higher than the previous year's payment to help keep up with inflation. The annuity prize used to be paid out in equal payments. Persons who elect to take the annuity prize do so because they don’t want to worry about investing the money. They want to maintain their lifestyle for the term of the annuity. In fact, our past practice of equal installments did not really meet the needs of these winners. Going from an income of say, $50,000 a year to say, $1 million per year, sounds great (and I hear that it is), but ten years later, the winner’s income is still $1 million a year and the price of luxury cars and yachts has gone up. In twenty years, the fact that the winner is living on a "fixed income" really starts to sink in. If you took the same cash jackpot amount to a professional financial advisor, they would certainly recommend investing in a graduated annuity so that your "real" income would stay at the same level every year. The Powerball annuity jackpot now does that. "

Powerball page link (http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp#odds)

Stu Pidasso
06-13-2006, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between jackpot and prize pool. Its actually 50% vig.

Stu

Lottery Larry
06-13-2006, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between jackpot and prize pool. Its actually 50% vig.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I always thought it was myself, based on state-reported lottery numbers in general.

After looking at the reported Powerball numbers, I'm starting to wonder about it a little.

In April 2006, when the Powerball jackpot moved from $37M to $49M, there were the numbers from the press releases:

Tickets purchased by 4/27- $17.3M
Cash jackpot value- 16.8M to 22.1M ($4.3M increase in estimated jackpot pool)
Other prizes won on 4/27- $3.6M
Powerplay winners (paid $1 extra)- over 81K

So, if $17.3M in tickets were sold, $3.6M awarded and prize pool grew $4.3M... doesn't that leave $9.4M in ticket money that didn't hit a prize pool, or 55%?

That raises another question- if the jackpot pool went up $4.3M, the overall ticket sales should have been $14.3M, calculated from the 30% jackpot pool figure.

Did the Powerball sell another $4M in Power Play additions, with none of that money going to the jackpot pool? (makes sense)
That number sounds about right, given 81K Power Play winners (based on 43:1 overall odds, about $3.5M in sales..)

... but how much of the $4M extra goes to prize pools? That money alone could fund the $3.6M won, so the overall percentage goes down....

It's not huge a difference, but $4M a drawing = $400M a year.... am I missing something?

jman220
06-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Lol @ bitching about 1 million a year because its a "fixed" income.

Lottery Larry
06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lol @ bitching about 1 million a year because its a "fixed" income.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of nonsense always pisses me off. If you're too stupid to manage a million a year, save yourself the aggravation and give ME the winning ticket!