PDA

View Full Version : World Domino Tournament on ESPN now...

Sadat X
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Not sure what to think exactly.

hoopsie44
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thought I had after watching that was that white men mustn't be very good at dominoes.

Velocity
06-13-2006, 04:48 AM
Dominoes is a very fun game when played at a high level. I'm sorry I missed this.

Reef
06-13-2006, 09:27 AM
what is the skill:luck ratio?

Sadat X
06-13-2006, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thought I had after watching that was that white men mustn't be very good at dominoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

kslghost
06-14-2006, 06:15 AM
They all seem to be Jamaican? It's real dull to watch because it goes a little too fast for the normies like me to understand. When I played, I didn't even use their ruleset, as it really seems like possibly the stupidest one ever... (just get rid of all ur tiles!?)

Al Mirpuri
06-14-2006, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the skill:luck ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two main types of domino games: block games and draw games.

The game is strictly for gamboolers as the skill inherent in the game is not of any great complexity or depth.

Sadat X
06-14-2006, 05:05 PM
It's on again...

Quadstriker
06-15-2006, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The game is strictly for gamboolers as the skill inherent in the game is not of any great complexity or depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how many times have the announcers said at the beginning of a "hand" (or whatever its called) "So and So has this. He's going to win."

Photoc
06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Actually competitive dominos is more popuplar in Central/South America than North America. Players were all told they had to sit perfectly still as to not give away "tells" to their partner as to what they had.

Talk about a snore fest. Geezus, 4 guys sitting in a cirle, putting tiles on the table. No interaction whatsoever outside of the interviews. I hope to never see this on tv again.

Quadstriker
06-17-2006, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope to never see this on tv again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew virtually nothing about the game prior to this TV exposure. A few episodes later, I wouldn't be upset if I never saw a domino again in my life.

MCS
06-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I was hoping for more yelling at the end of matches.

I couldn't follow the action to save my life.

NickMPK
06-18-2006, 12:23 AM
I was very disappointed by the broadcast of this. A lot of the time, I couldn't tell why one team had won instead of the other. Sometimes, it was obvious that one team was resigning, but other times, someone would play their last domino and yet the other team won.

Also, I noticed in the first episode the announcers said something like, "players tend to get rid of 4's early on...they tend to be unwieldy tiles." Am I missing something, or aren't all of the numbers function identical? How would some numbers be more or less difficult to play than others?

Also, it there any significance to the orientation of the dominoes on the board? I wish the rules were better explained.

HajiShirazu
06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
From watching this there has to be at least some skill, with most of the skill being in picking up tells from your partner and hiding those tells.

cgwahl
06-23-2006, 08:34 PM
It was a real nail biter! I was on the edge of my seat.

Seriously, didn't enjoy the broadcast. Couldn't tell how they won half the time since it seemed like they had a tile left.

But I will admit it got me interested in learning dominoes a little.

Its funny how I like to watch these "sports" or competitions that would be a joke elsewhere I guess.

Heck when I was on vacation I was actually watching professional minature golf players compete for some money.

Also wasted an hour of my life watching Rock, Paper Scissors tournament. Wish I hadn't...heh.

Army Eye
06-30-2006, 05:03 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't understand what was going on at the end of these games sometimes.

I understand that when nobody can domino out, the person with the least points wins for their team, but the endgame happens so fast on these shows, I still couldn't process it. These shows aren't very noob-friendly.

I thought it was interesting that the ocmmentators come off as being much better players than the people in the game! Several times they immediately call out a play as a big blunder, and sure enough it will invariably turn out to be a fatal mistake that costs the team a game. I wonder if these guys do the commentary with perfect hindsight, knowing exactly what happened in all the games? Or is it a case of holecard-itis where they let the knowledge of the "hole cards" affect their analysis too much? Something like that, or else those two should form their own team and get into the competition..