PDA

View Full Version : Caro's Power Poker Seminar

The Prawn
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have any reviews on this video?

Anyhow, I'm going to buy it, and everywhere I look it says it;s a "US Video" and will only play on "US players" etc... I was of the understand that all VHS's were worldwide... anyhow if this is not the case what do i have to buy to view this VHS tape?

Regards,

The Prawn

phydaux
01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Where are you from?

USA, Canada and Japan all use NTSC encoding on VHS tapes. Most of Europe uses PAL. If your VCR & TV are PAL, then you can't watch tapes encoded unded NTSC and visa versa. I'm not sure about down under, but I think the Aussies use PAL.

You can poke your head into your local consumer electronics shop and ask what people use in your locality.

If you buy the DVD, however, you shouldn't have a problem. DVDs are worldwide.

Grumbo
01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
DVDs are not compatible with all players. Just as you have NSTC and PAL, DVDs are also region-encoded. Region 1 is US etc. Some DVDs are for all regions and they will state that on the back of the box. So if you're not sure, you should definitely ask what region you're in and make sure the DVD is for your region or for all regions.

OP, what country are you in?

The Prawn
01-17-2006, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are you from?

USA, Canada and Japan all use NTSC encoding on VHS tapes. Most of Europe uses PAL. If your VCR & TV are PAL, then you can't watch tapes encoded unded NTSC and visa versa. I'm not sure about down under, but I think the Aussies use PAL.

You can poke your head into your local consumer electronics shop and ask what people use in your locality.

If you buy the DVD, however, you shouldn't have a problem. DVDs are worldwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your help. I'm from the UK and I'm 99% sure that my VHS player is PAL as most of my home videos say so. However, on the DVD matterm i have no problem buying it as i was looking to invest in a multi-region dvd player, but couldn't find "Caro's Power Poker Seminar" on DVD anywhere? Can nyone help me out here? And any feedback is great,

Regards,

The Prawn

Grumbo
01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Try his website. Is this the video you're talking about (at the bottom)?

Mike Caro's Website (http://www.poker1.com/shop/videos.asp)

Splossy
01-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Some DVD players are multi-region and many others can be "hacked" to become so by entering codes into them or burning a patch onto a disk and playing it. My Toshiba is now multi-region. A google search will tell you pretty quick.

DVD players output whatever format the DVD is in and so will play PAL or NTSC. However, your TV might only display PAL. New TVs tend to be multi-format but older ones are not.

VHS players only play the one format - they are either PAL or NTSC and won't play tapes in the other format.

BTW, it is pretty easy to remove region coding from DVD's if you have a DVD burner. You can decrypt the DVD using DVD Decryptor, which will remove all coding and protection. Then use DVD Shrink to get it down to a size that will fit on a DVD-R. But to change NTSC to PAL requires you to rip the DVD contents to avi format or similar and re-encode. It's easy but time consuming. I've done it when I've bought magic DVDs which nearly all come in NTSC.

The Prawn
01-23-2006, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the one before the bottom... "Caro's power poker seminar" as i said. Doyou know if its available on DVD anywhere?

Grumbo
01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the one before the bottom... "Caro's power poker seminar" as i said. Doyou know if its available on DVD anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lead a horse to water....