PDA

View Full Version : Preflop play: calling a raise with small pocket pair or suited connect

Leviathan
12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
in NLHE, with a small pocket pair or a suited connector, i almost always call a preflop raise, as long as the raiser and i have at least 10 times the amount of the raise.
Now, as i'm reading theory of poker, sklansky says that he wouldn't call a moderate preflop raise with sixes in NLHE if the preflop raiser was on his immediate right.
The reason is, if he flops a set, his implied odds will be greatly reduced as he can't raise immediatly the opener and expect a call from preflop callers acting before him.
Which makes me think my preflop play with pocket pairs and suited connector is quite bad.
I play NLHE, small stakes (NLHE50$ 5 to 7 handed).
Could someone explain how i should play my pairs and suited connectors after a preflop raise? Is there a minimum number of callers i should expect to make the call profitable?
If a tight/quite passive player raises preflop, then should it be an automatic fold with my pocket pair if noone else has called the raise?

Leviathan
01-02-2006, 09:01 AM
post moved to small stakes NL/PLHE

schwerd2
01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
You want yourself and the person who is raising to have at least 7x the amount of the raise in their stack because the odds of you hitting a set on the flop is 7:1.

I think the texture of the flop along with the other callers from the preflop raiser will determine how much money youre going to make rather than him being immediately to your right

Leviathan
01-08-2006, 10:57 PM
when i decide to call or not preflop, i don't know the texture of the flop
so it doesn't tell me if basically i'm calling too easily a preflop raise with a small pocket pair. Which i think now that i've read sklansky' theory of poker

schwerd2
01-08-2006, 11:02 PM
i know that, I was trying to say that if the player is on your immediate right and u call his raise you dont know who is also going to call the raise behind you. So when the flop hits if it hits yourself as well as other people that will determine how much u make from your set.

But like I said before call the raise if you and the raiser have 7x the amount of the raise in your stack