PDA

View Full Version : Need to spend some PokerStars FPPs....

Assani Fisher
01-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I did search a bit, but I apologize if any of these books have been already discussed in other threads. If so, please just point me in the direction of those threads.

I'm a fairly advanced player who plays at high stakes, mostly online but going to be playing in person more often in the future. Most any beginner books would not be of use to me, but I'm definitely willing to give anything a try if it would help my game in any way. I have 20,000 FPPs so I don't really mind spending them, but if a book would be completely useless for me, then I'd rather not waste them. Here is a list of books that I don't have that Stars offers(and I list their FPP cost next to them):

The Book of Bluffs by Matt Lessinger(800)
Fundamentals of Poker by Loomis and Malmuth(800)
Hold 'Em Poker by Carson(1000)
Championship Satellite Strategy by McEvoy and Daugherty(1500)
Poker Champion Moneymaker by C Moneymaker(1500)
Getting starts in Hold Em by Miller(1600)
The Poker MBA by Dinkins(1800)
WLLHE by Lee Jones(2000)
The Making of a Poker Play by Matros(2000)
Tournament Poker by McEvoy(2300)

I have no reservations about just getting all of these as I don't value FPPs all that much. But as I said, let me know if any of these would be completely worhtless for a more advanced player. Also are there any on this list that you'd consider "must reads"?

TIA for any help.

Scotch78
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I can't think of a single one of those that would be worthwhile for a winning high-stakes player. Save up and get some of the new items.

Scott

Assani Fisher
01-16-2006, 03:36 PM
After searching the forum a bit more, I've come to the conclusion that the Moneymaker book, Lessinger book, and the Matros book are all worthwhile. I also saw many people say that Championship Satellite Strategy is not worth the time to read.

Would most people agree with that?

I didn't find anything on the other books yet....will keep searching or waiting for replies here.

Assani Fisher
01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of a single one of those that would be worthwhile for a winning high-stakes player. Save up and get some of the new items.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

What "new" items? Yes, I'm a winning high stakes player, but I also love to here poker ideas expressed in different ways. For example, I'm going through Harrington volume II right now and even though I "already know" most of what hes saying, its helping me to hear it expressed from someone else's viewpoint.

Thanks for the reply though...always appriciated.

lorez
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
It's not a strategy book but the Della book about Stu Unger is a great read. Worth it in my opinion.

Scotch78
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What "new" items?

[/ QUOTE ]

VIP Store (http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store_new.html)

Scott

Assani Fisher
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What "new" items?

[/ QUOTE ]

VIP Store (http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store_new.html)

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
oh wow...didn't realize there was so much to save up for...thanks! I wish Party offered something comparable.

MicroBob
01-16-2006, 04:43 PM
wasting your FPP's on the books is probably -EV compared with the new items in the VIP store IF you have any interest at all in continuing to play there.

Did you really 'already know' all of the concepts in HOH2?

Assani Fisher
01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wasting your FPP's on the books is probably -EV compared with the new items in the VIP store IF you have any interest at all in continuing to play there.

Did you really 'already know' all of the concepts in HOH2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't express them in words well so no maybe I didn't "know" them, but I felt like I recognized all of the concepts as I read it.

Thanks for the advice....not sure what I'll try to save up for now.

ghcnoob
01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
The Matros book is interesting and I would recommend it...Moneymaker is an interesting read as a bio but probably not as a strategy book...