PDA

View Full Version : the moon

casmells
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I've seen and heard that a lot of people believe that we never landed on the moon and it was a hoax. Personally I believe that we landed on the moon.

Are there any telescopes in the world that can actually see that stuff that we left on the moon?

-cas

CallMeIshmael
06-07-2006, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen and heard that a lot of people believe that we never landed on the moon and it was a hoax.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.raptureme.com/photo/tulsa2/z56.jpg

AllIn3High
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I doubt you could verify this via a telescope, and ofcourse some satelite could have place this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment

StepBangin
06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Debating this is boring anymore.

Sorry, thats about all you're getting from me about this:D

aeest400
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Do I need to start worrying about this?

"The moon is spiraling away from Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year, due to the Earth's ocean tides."

Geez. Or maybe "spiraling" is a little over-evocative as an adjective here.

StepBangin
06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Where did you find that? Sounds bogus to me!

How do the oceans affect the moon? I know the moons gravitational pull affects the oceans, but the oceans affecting the moon sounds weird.

aeest400
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How do the oceans affect the moon? I know the moons gravitational pull affects the oceans, but the oceans affecting the moon sounds weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

bottom of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_Experiment

StepBangin
06-07-2006, 09:19 PM
"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

This is where I stopped believing the story

atrifix
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Wiki is God.

Borodog
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I never did like that Third Law. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MelchyBeau
06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
You should learn about how gravity works. its a force that attracts objects together. Think about it using magnets. You have 2 magnets of opposite polarity. they move to each other, one just doesn't stay there (unless held) while the other moves.

Hopey
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen and heard that a lot of people believe that we never landed on the moon and it was a hoax. Personally I believe that we landed on the moon.

Are there any telescopes in the world that can actually see that stuff that we left on the moon?

-cas

[/ QUOTE ]

If you listen to some people on this board, everything of any consequence that has happened in the last 100 years has been a hoax and/or conspiracy.

aeest400
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Trying to cover something up?

casmells
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
i really don't care about the "hoax" of landing on the moon. i thoroughly believe that we did, but i'm just curious if any high quallity cameras or telescopes can actually see anything that was left there??

Borodog
06-09-2006, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should learn about how gravity works. its a force that attracts objects together. Think about it using magnets. You have 2 magnets of opposite polarity. they move to each other, one just doesn't stay there (unless held) while the other moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called "sarcasm."

Chips_
06-09-2006, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i really don't care about the "hoax" of landing on the moon. i thoroughly believe that we did, but i'm just curious if any high quallity cameras or telescopes can actually see anything that was left there??

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is no there are no telescopes capable of taking a picture which shows the details of the moon landing site. The telescopes do not have enough resolution. The Hubble was pointed at the Apollo moon landing sites to gather data on minerals present. Each pixel was 50-100 meters.

By the way there were plenty of telescopes that tracked the apollo missions on their way to the moon, leaving earth's orbit and heading there.

PS - My Dad designed a piece of equipment for one of the experiments set up on the moon. We have pictures of it set up at one of the landing sites taken by the astronauts.

exist
06-10-2006, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called "sarcasm."

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure it's called "Quick Reply".

Brainwalter
06-10-2006, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to start worrying about this?

"The moon is spiraling away from Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year, due to the Earth's ocean tides."

Geez. Or maybe "spiraling" is a little over-evocative as an adjective here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The verb spiralling is used here in a completely literal and appropriate sense.