PDA

View Full Version : 3-dimensional graphing

SGS
06-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Can anyone recommend a good program that I could use to draw three dimensional graphs. I would like to be able to draw spheres of varying sizes around varying points. Thanks in advance.

SGS

RocketManJames
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Since no one else has responded, I will... but, I'm probably not the best person to answer this.

You might want to look into Matlab. I think they have some built-in commands that allow you to draw spheres. If it doesn't, I think that you'd be able to find some functions that others have written for it that will do what you want.

-RMJ

thirddan
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
i highly doubt its what you are looking for, but if you just need to draw some spheres (not based on equations or anything) then you can get a free 3d modelling/animation app called POVray...

Hiding
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Mathcad does some decent 3-d graphing,, although its been a while since I've used it.

But, if you just want to draw something, just look into a cad program.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Drop a couple Gs and get yourself some Matlab. It rules!

RocketManJames
06-02-2006, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drop a couple Gs and get yourself some Matlab. It rules!

[/ QUOTE ]

His location is OSU, so maybe he's a student, and could qualify for some of the student pricing. Not sure if the student versions are crippled or not though.

-RMJ

twankerr
06-02-2006, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend a good program that I could use to draw three dimensional graphs. I would like to be able to draw spheres of varying sizes around varying points. Thanks in advance.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

I see other people are recomending Matlab. I've always used that for courses in numerical analysis or scientific computing. On the other hand, we used Mathematica in our multi-var calc class and it does a beautiful job with the drawing. Very easy to use. matematica (http://www.wolfram.com) I think

Siegmund
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I prefer Mathematica to Matlab, myself.

My experience is that university math departments usually have site licenses for Mathematica, and engineering departments for Matlab. Using one of these at a campus computer, rather than at home, might well be an option for the OP.

They are both $1000-ish programs at the academic price if you want your own copy.

For something a couple orders of magnitude cheaper that may still meet your needs, check out www.dpgraph.com (http://www.dpgraph.com)