PDA

View Full Version : Overpair (KK) up against an OSED+Flush Draw, Misplayed.

whatshisname
01-15-2006, 03:02 PM
<font color="blue"> I have just started posting recently, and I need help improving my game. In the following hand, I know I played it horribly, giving people with lots of outs correct odds to call. I suspect I should have wanted to see the turn cheap, or atleast give people with 8-9 outs the wrong odds to see the turn, but I confess I get stacked quite frequently with an overpair, and I am seeking some advice to play them post flop. In the following example, I thought I was good, and just wanted to pick up the pot right there. In retrospect, bad play, and I should not have been so aggressive.

If anyone can give advice on how to play the hand differently on the flop, and what to do once the turn came (complete flush/non-completed flush) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.</font>

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP1 ($31.30)
Hero ($25) (K /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif)
MP3 ($24.45)
CO ($38.25)
Button ($34.25)
SB ($22.95)
BB ($19.25)
UTG ($54.80)
UTG+1 ($24.75)

Preflop: is with , .
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, MP3 calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $1.25, calls $1.25.

Flop: ($6.15) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $23.5 (All-In)</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls $17.75 (All-In), folds.

Turn: ($47.40) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($47.40) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $47.40

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5c 4c (straight, six high).
MP2 doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins $41.65. MP2 wins $5.75. </font>

thedustbustr
01-15-2006, 03:13 PM
You're a 53:47 dog on the flop, and there is nothing you can do on this hand. He had the absolute perfect flop.

If you pot the flop, you're giving worse draws insufficient odds (say AK/images/graemlins/club.gif). Pot flop, pot turn if you still put him on a draw, or bet 1/2-2/3 pot on turn if you put him on a pair to make sure he comes along.

blitz
01-15-2006, 03:15 PM
preflop id only make it 1.25 without a special read.
pot the flop, reevaluate on turn. in this specific case your flop equity is behind but youre ahead on the turn.
fold to push on flop.as long as he isnt a complete maniac u wont be ahead of his range

esad
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Pot-sized bet on the Flop. $6
Same on the Turn.

Some people will call with any chance of a str8 or flush though. If he made a str8 on the river or had a flush draw then write his name down and play with him when ever you can, because he likes to give his money away to people.

Pokey
01-15-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't like the flop push because it's -EV relative to a smaller bet. Consider this:

A $6 bet has almost the same fold equity as this $23.50 bet; both are going to fold out almost all the flush draws, almost all the straight draws, almost all the tens. More importantly, though, neither bet is going to fold out the wicked draws (OESFD or this OESD + flush draw), and neither bet is going to fold out sets. In other words, when you get called on the flop, you're in trouble.

So you're playing this for a fold, and you're going to get one very frequently whether you bet $6 or $23.50. Isn't it better to make the play that costs you less money when you DO get called?

The tricky part comes when you make your big bet and get called and then have to decide how to play the turn. If I'd bet $6 and gotten called on this flop, I'd probably notice that villain is pot-committed and just push him all-in on the turn. Note that in this case, your fold equity would be MUCH higher on the turn, since now villain has only one card to go and has to call a $12 bet into a $24 pot. In this case, that's just about a break-even call for villain (odds of winning and pot odds are about the same), but any lesser drawing hand probably runs way on the turn.

Sets are just going to take your money most of the time, especially if they play them quietly. There's just no way around it. Don't worry about it too much.