PDA

View Full Version : Study Groups - Mods please view

3 minute hero
05-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi all,
I haven't been on for a while because of pregnancy probs with my wife (all is ok-ish now).

I have seen a couple of requests for study groups for various texts whilst i have been catching up on the forums, I wonder if there would be enough interest to have a Study Group Forum?

There is currently a study group running in SSNL and a request for one in Books/Pubs, and i haven't had time to check elsewhere. Surely it makes sense to run these groups from one forum. Maybe not a separate forum, but it should be centralised in one forum.

Just a thought.
Regards,
Richard

deacsoft
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I think we may run into problems here. All the study groups I have ran have been conducted from Books/Publications. I wasn't aware that there was a study group running in SSNL. The reason being that I rarely post in that forum. I would assume that many regular posters in that forum also do not regularly post in Books/Publications (as so with any two forums on 2+2). I don't hold any type of patent on the study group and all are free to start one whenever they'd like. They're also currently free to start them wherever they'd like (within reason). I can see how this can be an inconvience for someone who'd like to participate in a study group that's already running in another forum. However, it's my belief that members are going to miss these wherever they're posted.

I offer the following: I will always keep the study groups I run in the Books/Publications forum. I will always leave the interest thread up for at least 1 week before starting the reading. That should give everyone a good chance to become aware that the group is going to happen and when. I will also check with the other moderators about cross-posting links in forums that are related to the upcoming reading. This should also give those that don't regularly post in Books/Publications a chance to see it and participate in the study group that will be hosted in Books/Publications.

I think this would be the best way to go about it for now. I can't make it a "policy" or a "rule" before getting approval from the powers that be (and I'm not sure it should be). But I will get some opinions for the other mods and admins on how we can best adjust to this concern. I'll keep everyone informed on it.

pankwindu
05-30-2006, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All the study groups I have ran have been conducted from Books/Publications. I wasn't aware that there was a study group running in SSNL. The reason being that I rarely post in that forum. I would assume that many regular posters in that forum also do not regularly post in Books/Publications (as so with any two forums on 2+2).

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a pretty good argument for centralizing them? So that people outside of the group are aware of them. More participation = better study group.

[ QUOTE ]
However, it's my belief that members are going to miss these wherever they're posted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if you have a sticky in the few relevant forums, pointing to the study group forum.

vulturesrow
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
I was the one that posted an offer to head up a study group in SSNL. The reason being is that it is intended to be an attempt to apply the concepts in the book to SSNL. And I would be very disappointed if someone thought it necessary to regulate what forums a book study could be conducted in, unless it was clearly inappropriate.

deacsoft
05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a pretty good argument for centralizing them? So that people outside of the group are aware of them. More participation = better study group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some members may want a study group in a certain forum and only members the are regulars in that forum or to that certain style or level (rate/limit) to participate. Not anyone and everyone. Limiting book study groups to the Books/Publications forum will not happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Not if you have a sticky in the few relevant forums, pointing to the study group forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is zero chance of anything like this happening. We can not allow good threads to be pushed down by links to a different thread in a different forum.

deacsoft
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Everyone,

Those interested in participating in study groups are encouraged to browse the forums for related threads. Books/Publications forum is a good place to start.

Those interested in starting one are encouraged to post links in related forums if you'd like. You are also encouraged to list any criteria for those interested in participating if you choose to limit the number or "type" of participants.
(note: that will not be inforced. you can ask that your criteria be met only)

As always, I will conduct study groups in Books/Publications from time to time. You are all welcome to participate in mine or start your own at any time.