PDA

View Full Version : Pokernomics Analyses?

x2ski
12-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Has anyone gotten their 10,000 hand Pokernomics analysis yet?

It's been quite a few months now.

uDevil
12-30-2005, 05:56 AM
I haven't heard anything and don't see any update on their website. At least I got a book out of the deal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll send them an email.

Edit: Email sent, with a link to this thread.

ebranig
12-30-2005, 07:31 AM
HAven't gotten my book, tshirt, or analysis. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rudbaeck
12-30-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HAven't gotten my book, tshirt, or analysis. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my book three weeks after sending in my database, which is ages ago. Still wondering what happened to the analysis though.

x2ski
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard anything and don't see any update on their website. At least I got a book out of the deal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll send them an email.

Edit: Email sent, with a link to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took my Freakonomics T-shirt out of the dryer and it reminded me of this.

It's been another 2 months now... did you ever receive an e-mail response uuDevil?

WLVRYN
02-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Those bastards, I never got my book or my t-shirt (or my analysis), even though I sent in the required number of hands +50K if I remember correctly.

talentdeficit
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
they abandoned the project. i wouldn't hold out hope for anything.

FrogMouth
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I got the book.

meh....

ebranig
02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they abandoned the project. i wouldn't hold out hope for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

source?

talentdeficit
03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
the blog at the freakonomics.com page. i misread it though, it hasn't been abandoned, levitt is just working on another project currently, and pokernomics is 'on hold'.

stigmata
03-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Pokernomics is being done by an academic research group, right? Expect results in 2-4 years. Seriously -- I work in academia, I should know.

You expected results in a few months? LMAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wynton
03-01-2006, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those bastards, I never got my book or my t-shirt (or my analysis), even though I sent in the required number of hands +50K if I remember correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent in the hands early on in the project, and followed up with emails months later. Once or twice, I was told they would send the book and shirt. It never happened.

destroBU
03-01-2006, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent in the hands early on in the project, and followed up with emails months later. Once or twice, I was told they would send the book and shirt. It never happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they jobbed me, too. Sent in well over 100k hands, no book, no shirt, nothing. I emailed them several times and I got exactly zero responses.

I'm not buying this book anymore if it ever actually comes out.

maurile
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Online Poker Cheating (http://www.freakonomics.com/blog/2006/03/02/online-poker-cheating/)
Steven D. Levitt Mar 02, 2006

One of the projects I’ve been engaged in lately is trying to catch players who are cheating in online poker.

(This is unrelated to the Pokernomics analysis I have also been doing—although at a glacial pace. For those of you who sent me hand histories we will be getting you ring game analyses within the next couple weeks.)

It turned out to be harder than I thought it would to catch online poker cheats. I have found lots of behavior that looks awfully suspicious in the data, but it doesn’t seem like the players do much better when they are behaving suspiciously than when they are not. So far, I can’t figure out whether what looks suspicious to me is not cheating, or whether cheating of the sort I’m looking at doesn’t provide a player much of an edge.

Recently, some highly regarded young players got caught playing under multiple identities in the same tournament. (See here and here, although if you aren’t a poker insider the posts are a little confusing). Thanks to Scott Cunningham for pointing me to these two links.

Because of these two projects on poker, I figured I better play a little myself to understand the game better. I was surprised how much fun it was. I was a big loser initially, even in low stakes games. Now I’m still a loser, but not as much, and at much higher stakes. I’ve even had the honor (??) of losing to the guys who just got caught cheating.

But the best news is that my wife Jeannette quickly picked up the game and now does not consider her day complete if she can’t slip in a few sit-n-go no limit hold ‘em tournaments after the kids go to sleep. I married well.

felson
03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
They just sent an email announcing that all the analyses will be sent out within two weeks.

Also, I received the T shirt and autographed book several months ago. They say that if you ask again, they will send you yours too.

uDevil
03-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Just got this email:

[ QUOTE ]
All,

At this point, the Pokernomics analyses are almost complete. The methodology for them is finished, and all that remains is for us to do is make the analysis report into a .pdf file for each person. Beginning Thursday, we should have our first analyses ready to be emailed.

We are also asking all of you to help the pokernomics project by filling out the following short survey:
http://express.perseus.com/perseus/surveys/1734848031/21f3d147.htm

We will prioritize sending out analyses as they are completed to people who fill out the survey first. The survey should take no more than 5-10 minutes. It will help us better understand our players and may be included in a future analysis. Regardless of whether you fill out the survey, all analyses will be sent out within 2 weeks from today.

***very importantly*** In the survey, for the field Pokernomics ID, please fill in the email address that this email was sent to you at.

Also, if anyone of you at this point still has not received a book and/or t-shirt, but received an email saying that you would get one, please respond to this email stating that. We are aware that there were some problems in the mailings, and want to make sure you get your book or t-shirt in addition to the analysis.

Sincerely,
The Pokernomics Team

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: woops, didn't see felson's post.

x2ski
03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just got this email:

[ QUOTE ]
All,

At this point, the Pokernomics analyses are almost complete. The methodology for them is finished, and all that remains is for us to do is make the analysis report into a .pdf file for each person. Beginning Thursday, we should have our first analyses ready to be emailed.

We are also asking all of you to help the pokernomics project by filling out the following short survey:
http://express.perseus.com/perseus/surveys/1734848031/21f3d147.htm

We will prioritize sending out analyses as they are completed to people who fill out the survey first. The survey should take no more than 5-10 minutes. It will help us better understand our players and may be included in a future analysis. Regardless of whether you fill out the survey, all analyses will be sent out within 2 weeks from today.

***very importantly*** In the survey, for the field Pokernomics ID, please fill in the email address that this email was sent to you at.

Also, if anyone of you at this point still has not received a book and/or t-shirt, but received an email saying that you would get one, please respond to this email stating that. We are aware that there were some problems in the mailings, and want to make sure you get your book or t-shirt in addition to the analysis.

Sincerely,
The Pokernomics Team

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: woops, didn't see felson's post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I got it too... One weird thing though:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhh, it says my e-mail address is tribe**********@yahoo.com. This isn't my e-mail address... Is this some weird password thing? Should I enter my real e-mail address or the yahoo one?

I'm gonna assume the yahoo one and see what happens.

felson
03-28-2006, 01:54 AM
anyone receive their analysis yet?

x2ski
03-28-2006, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me.

uDevil
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got mine today. I'm disappointed.

Some interesting charts: Comparisons of how profitable hero is compared to his peers, how frequently cards are played by hero vs. by peers, how profitable those cards are for hero vs. for peers, and how hero performs as number of simultaneous tables changes. Some of these charts might be good addtions additions to a program like Poker Patterns.

However, there was absolutely no strategy analysis. This is FAR short of what I expected. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Note: bigalt also posted on this topic here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5220034&an=0&page=1#Post 5220034)