PDA

View Full Version : Asian Americans more likely to be Christian

dknightx
05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
According to an article I read:

"At Berkeley, California's premier public university, "evangelical Christian" and "Asian American" are almost interchangeable descriptions. Three trends come together. One is California's demographics: It is 11 percent Asian compared to 4 percent for the nation as a whole. Two is academic prestige: As the oldest and most selective campus of the University of California, Berkeley has an undergraduate population that is 42 percent Asian. (As a general rule, the more selective the school, the higher the percentage of Asian students.) Three is a national fact: Asian students are more likely to show Christian commitment than other ethnic groups, including whites."

Was curious why this was the case. Up-bringing? Most chinese immigrants are buddhist, or atheist. Personality types? Mob mentality?

tolbiny
05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Most chinese immigrants are buddhist, or atheist

---------------
Source???

BCPVP
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most chinese immigrants are buddhist, or atheist

---------------
Source???

[/ QUOTE ]
Seconded, considering there's a pretty large Christian underground in China.

Metal_Rat
05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
According to an article I read:

"At Berkeley, California's premier public university, "evangelical Christian" and "Asian American" are almost interchangeable descriptions. Three trends come together. One is California's demographics: It is 11 percent Asian compared to 4 percent for the nation as a whole. Two is academic prestige: As the oldest and most selective campus of the University of California, Berkeley has an undergraduate population that is 42 percent Asian. (As a general rule, the more selective the school, the higher the percentage of Asian students.) Three is a national fact: Asian students are more likely to show Christian commitment than other ethnic groups, including whites."

Was curious why this was the case. Up-bringing? Most chinese immigrants are buddhist, or atheist. Personality types? Mob mentality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that Evangelical Christian promote their faith around world. They combine charity with religion much more than the other faiths. This results in more people being converted to Christianity than to other religions.

I'm Asian-American and most of my US born Asian-American friends are non-Christian. For the most part we've kept our parent's religion (we're an older generation). Personally, I don't believe in much but if I had to choose, I'd go with Buddhism.

Most of my 'new-immigrant' Chinese friends came here for a college education and were ultimately recruited by 'born-again Christian' groups in college. Those that weren't are either Buddhist or Taoist.

And nearly all of my Korean friends are Christians. A lot of it has to do with the influence of Europeans and Americans before/during/after the Korean War.

Most of the Chinese immigrants today are from mainland China. Their lives have been very difficult and for them immigrating to America is a dream come true.
When they come here they are more willing to accept Christianity as they believe that it will help them get ahead in their new life. Their main goal is to fit in as best they can in society. Sometimes, reality is more important than their personal beliefs. And, religion is 'illegal' in communist China.

These are just my honest observations.