PDA

View Full Version : Question for Catholics.

miketurner
05-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance... I have been told that Catholics believe that God cannot hear your prayers, thus they pray only to Mary. Is this true?
If so, where does this belief come from?
Is it scripturally based?
If so, what scripture specifically?

Also, what do you make of the “Lord’s Prayer”? Jesus, when asked, said to pray directly to the “Father.” - Luke 11:1

If I am wrong about my original posit that you pray only to Mary, forgive me... I was told second hand, so I don’t even know if it’s true.

sweetjazz
05-22-2006, 10:50 PM
No that is a misperception, but no harm done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

miketurner
05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No that is a misperception, but no harm done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you... had to ask.

Lestat
05-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Even though I'm an atheist and don't claim to know a lot about Catholic teachings, I was brought up Catholic and know most of the basics. I can tell you that I've never heard that God doesn't hear your prayers.

I do know that Catholics pray to different people/saints for different things... There's one saint considered the patron saint of travel for instance. Any time someone in the family travels my aunt will pray to this saint. I'm not sure, but there's also someone specific that she prays to when saying the Rosary. I'm pretty sure there's even a Saint to pray to if you lose something and need help finding it. Anyway, that's what I know. I'm sure others will know much more about it.