PDA

View Full Version : My name is not rendered in red next to my posts.

bisonbison
01-14-2006, 06:57 AM
For many, religion is not an investment in the irrational, it is an appeal to precision: they don't care as much about a big man in the sky, they care that somehow there's a measurable moral difference between saying 'Thanks' and 'Thank you', however small. And that the small benefit from saying 'potato' and not 'po-tawt-o' is worthwhile.

They believe in a moral science as exacting as any physical discipline.

Discuss.

soon2bepro
01-14-2006, 07:25 AM
huh?

diebitter
01-14-2006, 07:41 AM
No, it's not an appeal for precision. It's an apeal for certainty and immutability. The end of the sharpest needle is precise, but it can move all over the place. Embed it in a big [censored]-off rock that won't be moved - then you're talking!

J. Stew
01-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Not sure about the difference between potato and potawto but the difference between thanks and thank you is paramount when interpreted in terms of degrees of genuinity. Thanks can be throw around like a dirty whore, and does more often than not. Thank you, when it's said genuinely reflects a person's capacity to be real. And being real is being God because God is reality which is also Ultimate truth. That's why when you're honest with yourself you are more honest with others, there is no difference between what your consciousness sees and what reality is. It's the mind that interprets and screws up God but on the flip side it's the mind that has the capacity to conceptualize truths so it's a double edge sword. Which side of the sword you use depends on if you are enlightened or ignorant to your self that lies at the root of thoughts/feeling. Reality can be seen to a more precise degree when one's capacity to be real becomes more open so I agree that religion is about being more precise about who you already are while at the same time realizing that religion is just a way of throwing yourself back onto what you already are. Well the good ones anyways.