PDA

View Full Version : staking for blackjack

thedustbustr
05-20-2006, 04:34 AM
theoretically, if I stake someone for blackjack, i take all losses, and i take 50% of winnings, on a per session basis, avg session of a few hours, the house edge effectively doubles, right?

thedustbustr
05-20-2006, 04:49 AM
actually upon a rethinking, it seems that the house edge is doubled for sesison length of 1 hand. as session length -> infinity, house edge -> true house edge. so for a session length of a few hundred hands, the house edge isn't terribly higher, maybe 1.5x.

SheetWise
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM
House edge doesn't change -- just the range of expected outcomes at any given confidence level.

jman220
05-21-2006, 12:06 PM
The house's expectation doesn't increase, yours just decreases.

SheetWise
05-21-2006, 12:45 PM
A much better answer, jman.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CCx
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
if you're looking for someone to stake, i've been on a serious downswing/bad luck streak my last 6-8 sessions, so the law of averages says that now is the time to invest

inquire within

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lottery Larry
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're looking for someone to stake, i've been on a serious downswing/bad luck streak my last 6-8 sessions, so the law of averages says that now is the time to invest

inquire within

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That ugly over that SHORT? Man, time to go back to pok-ah! See what happens when you take a few months off from the DPC?
:P

thedustbustr
05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The house's expectation doesn't increase, yours just decreases.

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously.

now define effective house edge as -(my expectation), just like house edge can be defined as -(my expectation).

now answer the question.

jba
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now define effective house edge as -(my expectation), just like house edge can be defined as -(my expectation).

[/ QUOTE ]

so, just forget about the horse's expectation altogether? doesn't make any sense does it?

thedustbustr
05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
i could give a fuck what the house's expectation is. I care about my expectation. stop being a douchebag.

SheetWise
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
On a per session basis (which can mean a lot of different things), assuming wins and losses are of equal value (which they shouldn't be if you're playing a winning game) your winning sessions needs to outnumber your losing sessions 2:1 to break even. At, for example, 5 hours of play -- at 90 hands an hour -- I don't see how that game can be structured. You're giving the player(s) too good of a deal -- they take half of every upswing, you take all of every downswing.

Pick a number. If you put up $50k, then the agreement is to split when the BR hits $100k -- 75/25. Keep records and don't have any resolution until the target is hit. You should be able to structure a game where the target can be hit with 95% confidence or better.

thedustbustr
05-28-2006, 01:37 AM
its not gonna be +EV. its more of, how much will it cost me to spot my GF 50 bets to play BJ off of a strategy card while i play poker.

SheetWise
05-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Priceless. You already know the cost of not doing it.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif