PDA

View Full Version : Common Mindset?

Zeldark
05-19-2006, 04:28 AM
I was curious how many of you think in terms of what you buy/spend money on normally in terms of big bets. 3BB for a parking ticket? 2.5BB for a stick of gum? Car payment for 100BB? Things like that.

madnak
05-19-2006, 04:36 AM
I have made a goal for myself never to think in these terms. The problem is it could make you crazy. You might start thinking about your time in terms of your winrate. I would.

miketurner
05-19-2006, 07:46 AM
seriously? (http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/)

tolbiny
05-19-2006, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might start thinking about your time in terms of your winrate

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yeah i do this - like yesterday i was in the grocery store and i thought to myself -"spending 80$ and an hour here is +EV, because i saved myself the 110$/hour i have been losing over the last 2 months"
I miss empire poker.

Seether
05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Whenever my friends want me to spend my money on something stupid they are like come on man, its less than a turn check raise.

Zeldark
05-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I can't be curious?

miketurner
05-19-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be mean. It just struck me as a little obsessive. Or it could just be something funny, I guess. Like I said, no offense intended.

soko
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I usually think of everyday purchases relative to the number of minutes or hours it took me to earn the money to pay for them. Realizing the interconnectedness of everything in your life is not a problem it's the pattern of a successful individual.

Zeldark
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously? (http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/)

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be mean. It just struck me as a little obsessive. Or it could just be something funny, I guess. Like I said, no offense intended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. I didn't notice the embedded link before, but no worries, no offense taken. I'm still miffed about getting the stupid parking ticket for parking in staff parking spot. Bloody thing will cost me 60BB!

The link reminds me though, I always thought it would be "funny" to attend Gambler's Anonymous after winning a major tournament like WSOP. "Hi, I'm Joel, and I'm addicted to gambling... I've won 7.5 million dollars."

And according to the GA questionaire, I'm not a compulsive gambler. Ambition and compulsion are different, but I don't see 20 questions for testing gambling ambition.

madnak
05-19-2006, 04:15 PM
My problem with this approach is that I don't live my life according to money. Money is simply one element, and the utility of money isn't simple. My first hour of work in a week is worth much less than my 61st hour. The utility is based on all kinds of factors, and there's a very real diminshing utility. And while I may be -EV spending 10 minutes checking prices at the grocery store, those 10 minutes are much more rewarding to me than 10 minutes playing poker. The benefits also accrue in the long-term.

I want to be able to take a nap without worrying about how I'm losing $120.

lucktard
05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
A post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5122728&an=0&page=2#Post 5122728) from a high stakes NL player about his realization that this kind of thinking (relating everything in life to BBs/$ ) isn't for the best. Long but worth the read.

Gorilla Thrilla
05-27-2006, 09:55 AM
this is why i don't do my own laundry. it costs me like twice as much to drop it off and have the old spanish lady down the street do it, but in terms of win rate it's a no brainer. i hate doing laundry.

i play a mix of 10/20 and 15/30 since i can't always find 8 15/30 tables on party, so i confuse myself often when thinking about stuff in these terms.