PDA

View Full Version : Intention

Bork
05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Do you think it is possible for an act to be intentional, yet not be intended?

hmkpoker
05-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Please clarify.

Borodog
05-17-2006, 05:05 PM
It is possible for an act to be intentional yet have unintended consequences.

But it seems like your question is asking "Is it possible for X to simultaneously be A and NOT A?" To which the answer is clearly no.

lehighguy
05-17-2006, 05:20 PM
No, and I think I know the question your asking and this is a bad way to ask it.

bearly
05-20-2006, 12:02 AM
your question would be far easier to answer if you would tell us what you mean. conceptual 'pin the tail on the donkey' is just a game..............b

Shack
05-20-2006, 01:13 AM
If you don't plan on doing X, but then later do X, wouldn't that qualify as a yes? You didn't intend to, but then you intentionally did.

guesswest
05-20-2006, 11:51 AM
The answer to your question as you've written it is clearly no, by definition.

But I think we all get the feeling you're trying to ask a different question. I don't think anybody is quite sure what that question is though - there's a plethora of interesting issues along these lines. Please clear this up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darryl_P
05-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Sounds like a question about personal responsibility.

If you are genuinely unaware of negative effects of your actions on others, then your level of personal responsibility is significantly diminished IMO. But once you become aware that your actions do indeed have those consequences (either by someone pointing it out or by other means), then you can no longer use that escape clause. And to be completely absolved from responsibility you would need to show some sort of repentance for past wrongdoings. (Some say you need to accept Jesus or ask forgiveness of God but I'd say repentance of any sort is the key).

Choosing to remain blissfully ignorant is not an acceptable option, for if it were, I could go around killing everyone who annoys me without being guilty of any wrongdoing.

If that's not the gist of your question then please ignore what I said.

Copernicus
05-21-2006, 08:49 AM
I dont intend to respond to this thread until the OP clarifies what he's asking.

Darryl_P
05-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Ah yes, I wish I were there too. /images/graemlins/cool.gif